Repeat Tire Pressure Question?

More
28 Aug 2009 09:10 - 28 Aug 2009 09:59 #316983 by mzandmz
Repeat Tire Pressure Question? was created by mzandmz
What determins your tire pressure? Following the recommended pressure from the manual? Whats stated on the side wall of the tire? Do you fill to the maxx cold pressure? All tires are different. Weight load? Outside Temp? Whats Safe? Helps us Find out the truth.:unsure: .:huh: .:dry:

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 09:59 by mzandmz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2009 09:51 #316993 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire Pressure?
This looks like a repeat off a question asked earlier. To be safe, I recommend you check the website of the tire manufacturer for the tires on your bike. I say this because the little research I did shows different manufacturers provide different recommendations which vary quite a bit. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Aug 2009 10:31 #317003 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Tire Pressure?
I would reference the bike owner's manual recommendation, the tire manufacturer's recommendation for your bike, other tire manufacturers' recommendations for comparative purposes, then choose an inflation pressure. As 650ed mentioned in that other topic, Dunlop has a fitment guide for many bike models, showing the recommended tire & tire pressure.

My bike is the 81 CSR w spoked tube-type wheels & the manual states to inflate the oem tires to 25 psi front & 22-25 psi rear (depending upon the load). The Dunlop GT501s are recommended to be run at 32 Fr & 36 Rr on my 650H. The sidewall doesn't really have a Max Pressure. Instead it lists a Max Load (weight) at 42 psi. I keep them at about 32/34 Fr & 34/36 Rr.

FYI: the same tires on a KZ550-Ltd which is a smaller/ligher bike are recommended to be inflated to 30 Fr & 34 Rr.

More
28 Aug 2009 10:46 #317009 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Repeat Tire Pressure Question?
Still not getting the RIGHT pressure. Good for gas mileage? Best for Traction? Best for wear? Whats BEST ?:angry:

More
28 Aug 2009 11:25 - 28 Aug 2009 11:29 #317025 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Repeat Tire Pressure Question?
mzandmz wrote:

What determins your tire pressure? Following the recommended pressure from the manual? Whats stated on the side wall of the tire? Do you fill to the maxx cold pressure? All tires are different. Weight load? Outside Temp? Whats Safe? Helps us Find out the truth.:unsure: .:huh: .:dry:

Go with the manula, assuming you are running stock tire size. You have to put more air in the rear if you carry a load in the back like an extra person. basically, a tire is like a balloon that needs to be at it's optimal shape to perform best. More weight pushes it down more so it needs more air pressure to force it back to proper shape.

I run 32 front and 28 rear on mine. I have found over time I get better rear tread life if I run a little less in the back (don't burn the center strip so soon). Fronts never wear out the tread, they die of old age from sidewall rot.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 11:29 by bountyhunter.

More
28 Aug 2009 11:34 - 28 Aug 2009 11:34 #317027 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Repeat Tire Pressure Question?
depends on what youre trying to accomplish.if your after mileage or carrying a lot of weight id say go with the maximum cold pressure,if your going drag racing run max cold on front and put some screws through the rim into the bead on the rear tire and run it half flat to get some traction! :laugh: remember hot pressure is higher than cold,so if you check them after riding a while im gonna say they should be about 5psi higher than cold rating B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 11:34 by PLUMMEN.

More
28 Aug 2009 13:40 #317066 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Repeat Tire Pressure Question?
Somewhere on the internet I saw a process to determine the optimum air pressure for your motorcycle tires, it involved measuring the pressure cold, then measuring the pressure after hot, maybe a 10 mile rides worth. The difference between cold-hot pressures told you if the pressure cold was correct. If I can find it I'll post it.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
28 Aug 2009 14:01 #317073 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Repeat Tire Pressure Question?
Cool. Thanks

More
28 Aug 2009 15:30 - 28 Aug 2009 15:33 #317103 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Repeat Tire Pressure Question?
OKC_Kent wrote:

Somewhere on the internet I saw a process to determine the optimum air pressure for your motorcycle tires, it involved measuring the pressure cold, then measuring the pressure after hot, maybe a 10 mile rides worth. The difference between cold-hot pressures told you if the pressure cold was correct. If I can find it I'll post it.

That's interesting because like I said earlier: the trick is to get just enough pressure to hold the tire well formed so it isn't "flattening" too much at the bottom where it sits on the ground. Each time the tire rotates, the sidewall flexes how ever much it goes from the top where it's fully extended and the bottom where it is compressed some. The amount it flexes makes heat and that would change the cold - hot pressure range.

Interesting, I never thought of using that for determining best air pressure, but it makes sense.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 15:33 by bountyhunter.

More
29 Aug 2009 10:05 #317316 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Repeat Tire Pressure Question?
I wonder if anybody at any tire manufacturer ever thought of this?

As Plummen and others have suggested, the "right" presure depends on a combination of what a person intendes to do and what the manufacturer designed the tire to do. If you plan to mount some knobbies on a Gold Wing, inflate them to 100psi, and take that rascal drag racing, then you'd better be prepared for some unpredictable and unpleasant consequenses.

Tire manufacturers spend quite a bit of time and money designing tires devising recommended pressures because they want happy customers and no lawsuits. The best place to start is with those recommendations. You can then adjust a little one way or the other to suit your particular circumstances, but deviating very far from that is asking for troulbe and will void the warranty.

My dime's worth (inflation, don't you know.)

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough