Swingarm bushing removal - Help !

More
23 Aug 2009 18:56 #316028 by etype728
Swingarm bushing removal - Help ! was created by etype728
Hello friends, my first post. Finally starting the restoration of my Z1B. All stripped down to go to the powder coaters until I attempted to extract the bushings,bearings, and tube from the swingarm. Looks like they have been left alone since 75. No rust to speak of, but everything seems well fused together from one end to the other. At least the zerk fitting came out without a struggle. Any kind suggestions would be appreciated. Some mild beating with a few drifts and rods was useless except for working up a good sweat. If heating does not help I guess I can clamp it in the mill and cut out the inner walls to collapse the bush/bearings. Your thoughts ?

Regards, Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2009 19:25 #316034 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Swingarm bushing removal - Help !
Wet the bushing/swingarm area with Kroil and keep it wet for a couple days. The Kroil will creep in between the bushing and swingarm and break the bond, then you'll be able to tap the busings out with a drift. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Aug 2009 20:13 #316037 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Swingarm bushing removal - Help !
I heated mine up for a long time and it didn't do any good. I had to cut mine out and I wasn't smart about it. I used a air chisel and ended up scoring the inside of the swingarm tube. Took awhile to file everything smooth again, so be careful when you are cutting.

If your going to replacing the bushings with the needle bearing kit from Z1, check the inner tube width with the frame. My tube was about a 1/16th wider than the frame and it made it a bugger to get in. I finally used a jack to spread the frame enough to install it. Ended up needing the extra washers they send too. Finally finished about an hour ago and the swingarm "swings" easily, but absolutely no lateral movement. It was worth it in the end, but I wasn't so happy a couple of hours ago!

More
23 Aug 2009 23:40 #316055 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Swingarm bushing removal - Help !
A 5 lb sledge should work.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125