To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE.

More
20 Aug 2009 20:33 #315434 by Yojymbo!
To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE. was created by Yojymbo!
I just ordered up several damper piston rings for KZ dampers. If you are rebuilding the forks on your bike this is an impossible part to find. I finally had a machine shop make me several out of glass impregnated teflon which is far superior to the original ring. IF anyone would like a pair of these for their rebuild shoot me an E-mail. They cost some bucks to fab up so this isn't a free part give away, but $10 a pair sounds fair to help defer the cost of making them. If your interested let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
31 Aug 2009 13:06 #317950 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE.
I will eventually be rebuilding my forks. I do not know enough about the KZ forks or my own forks to commit at this time. Once I determine my actual needs I may be looking you up. Thanks for thinking of the rest of us here.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

More
31 Aug 2009 15:37 #317997 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE.
yo- jimbo
can you hook a brother up? :laugh:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
31 Aug 2009 20:22 #318109 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE.
For you Kman, anything!

I'm going to pick them up tomorrow, two on the house coming your way. Shoot me a PM w/ your addy.

More
31 Aug 2009 21:00 #318128 by Zmoto
Replied by Zmoto on topic To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE.
Are we talking about ANY KZ suspention? I have some forks off a KZ650 i'm in the proccess of going through. Anyone ever take the seals out of one, mine are old and not coming out easily ...LOL

THnaks

More
31 Aug 2009 21:45 - 31 Aug 2009 21:46 #318138 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE.
I used a tool for tightening huge pipes they have at the marina where I live. It looks like a hook with a pivot point. You could use a bailing hook, just place a thin piece of wood between the metal of the hook and the metal of the tube. The damper ring is the same for all 650s and up I believe, one of mine broke when removing it to soak the dampers. I only have a couple of pairs of rings left so let me know if you want a pair. The stock ones are likely fine though.

Ah, and don't forget the most important seal/bearing removal tool of all, a bernzo torch.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2009 21:46 by Yojymbo!.

More
01 Sep 2009 06:23 #318175 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic To all rebuilding your forks A MESSAGE.
Zmoto wrote:

Are we talking about ANY KZ suspention? I have some forks off a KZ650 i'm in the proccess of going through. Anyone ever take the seals out of one, mine are old and not coming out easily ...LOL

An off the shelf seal puller from the auto parts store works fine. Be sure to remove the snap ring first. Use a small piece of scrap wood to protect the tube. Others have mentioned a method of removal whereby you forcefully pull up on the upper tube. I would guess that it's done in a piston like fashion until the seal pops out - never done it myself. You could apply some heat w a propane torch to soften up the seal.