1981 KZ750 - Speedometer Drive Disassembly

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Aug 2009 12:43 #313713 by kz750saskatoon
1981 KZ750 - Speedometer Drive Disassembly was created by kz750saskatoon
I am having some problems with my speedometer not working. When I purchased the bike a year ago, the speedometer did not work at all. The gauge's glass was broken, the cable was wrecked, and the hub was bad. I purchased replacements and installed them. When I talk about speedometer drive I mean the part that the cable plugs into at the front wheel.

Everything worked fine for about two weeks. While I was out driving one day, the needle suddenly dropped by about 20 km/h then again another 20 km/h and again until it got to 0 km/h.

I finally got around to troubleshooting it. I tested the cable by unscrewing both ends of it and twisting the bottom to see if the top still rotated, which it did. Cable is fine.

I never connected a drill or anything to the cable to see if the gauge works, but I was operating on the assumption it was fine.

I took off the speedometer drive. I want to disassemble it to clean everything up as it is really gross. My first question is, how do I remove the spring clip and the rubber seal holding everything together? The spring pin is shown in a picture I have attached.

I ended up finding out what my problem is. The part that sits closer to the wheel with the two teeth (or tines) that rotates the speedometer drive has been really messed up. I have no idea how this happened. I've attached a picture for comedy. Hopefully I do not have to purchase a whole front axle or wheel to find a replacement.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Aug 2009 12:44 #313714 by kz750saskatoon
Replied by kz750saskatoon on topic 1981 KZ750 - Speedometer Drive Disassembly
The destroyed metal piece.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK
Attachments:

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2009 10:48 #314820 by kz750saskatoon
Replied by kz750saskatoon on topic 1981 KZ750 - Speedometer Drive Disassembly
Thanks for all those links MFolks! While looking through them I noticed a lot of parts that will come in handy as I do more work to the bike.

I was not able to find the part I needed in those sites. I can't believe I did not check this before, but Kawasaki still makes and uses the part in new bikes. It is Kawasaki Part number 41064-1006 in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread. I should be getting a new one in about a week.

Does anyone have any ideas on that spring/roller pin I mentioned in my first post? A friend suggested I try pushing it in more and removing the gears out of the sleeve. I'm really stumped on this as its a blind hole.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK