installing superbike bars

More
26 Jul 2009 18:32 #309476 by asevans
installing superbike bars was created by asevans
ok. i want to put on some superbike bars. ive got stock kz900 bars. they are a little higher and come back farther than the superbikes. my problem is the master cylinder hits the speed gauge when i put the supers on. i believe my master cylinder is stock. if somebody has superbike bars on their kz900 can you tell me how you did it. thanx

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2009 05:38 #309548 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic installing superbike bars
I put a set of risers on and it was still tight. Got Goodrich stainless lines and changed the banjo to come off at a different angle too. No simple solution except maybe getting new brake with remote(perched) reservoir? GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
27 Jul 2009 05:59 #309551 by 1973Z
Replied by 1973Z on topic installing superbike bars
Just slightly loosen the handlebar clamp and rotate the bars back a little bit(so they aren't quite parallel with the fork tubes when viewed from the side)and adjust/rotate the throttle so the metal curved cable adjustment tubes won't hit your tank when the bars are turned all the way to the right. The brake cylinder can then be rotated on the bar so it's pretty well upright but clearing the guage. Rotate the clutch lever so it's the same angle as the brake lever. Mine has about a quarter to half inch of space between the brake cylinder and the tach.

More
27 Jul 2009 07:10 #309555 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic installing superbike bars
Here is a picture of mine. The resevoir has been turned as you can see. It is a very tight fit...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
30 Jul 2009 15:35 #310414 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic installing superbike bars
I got it. i had to turn the fitting off the master cylinder and fit it down under the tach. got the new shorter throttle cables coming.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
30 Jul 2009 16:20 #310423 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic installing superbike bars
I got it. i had to turn the fitting off the master cylinder and fit it down under the tach. got the new shorter throttle cables coming.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project