Frame modification

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
23 Jul 2009 15:29 #308867 by clutch
Frame modification was created by clutch
Hey guys,

I am seriously considering modifying my kz750 e standard a more cruiser style. I went to the extent of buying a 750 spectre rear fender and ordered the spectre rear grab bar. At this point, I realized I am going to have to chop the frame a bit. My question is that if I were to cut the very end of the frame off (just behind the blinker mount...pic provided), would it make the frame structurally unstable and unsafe????

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2009 15:44 - 23 Jul 2009 15:46 #308872 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Frame modification
That little plate at the very tail end helps to stop the tubes from "rolling" in turns etc. It's not super critical, though. My buddy chopped his e model there too and doesn't seem to mind too much.

If you weld a little brace across the where you chop it, that would help if you're worried. The existing brace there only helps to control bending, but not twisting, so you want something that stops the twisting. A small flat plate across the back of the cut tubes should do it.

If you really want the cruiser look, in the end, it will probably be cheaper and far less work to just get a non-running LTD.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2009 15:46 by loudhvx.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2009 15:49 #308874 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Frame modification
I had a feeling it wouldn't be critical, but wanted to make sure. I wonder if the piece at the end will fit where I make the cuts with the new fender....

Thanks for the reply! :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2009 16:00 #308876 by clutch
loudhvx wrote:

If you really want the cruiser look, in the end, it will probably be cheaper and far less work to just get a non-running LTD.

I don't know about cheaper...I can definitely find some CHEAP parts on eBay (and have). Maybe less work...but then again, not really if it doesn't run!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
23 Jul 2009 16:06 #308878 by loudhvx
Depends on how far you want to go. I think that 18" wheel on the back may not pull off the cruiser look. It'll end up looking like a cafe bob.

The LTD should have a nice fat 16" wheel and the frame will already look appropriate for the wheel. The e model may just end up looking too tall in the middle and back. Of course you could chop up the frame too.

But you'll probably want the longer fork tubes of the LTD model too.

So it's hard to say really. IF the right LTD comes along it'd be a no brainer, but waiting for one may feel like an itch you can't scratch. :)

More
23 Jul 2009 16:21 - 23 Jul 2009 16:27 #308884 by loudhvx
Here's one by me, but kind of steep. But it's got the forks wheel and frame you probably want. He could probably be talked down with no title. Obviously too far for MD, but there may be some by you, especially in the fall.

chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/1277509978.html

When looking, make sure it's a four and not a twin, obviously.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2009 16:27 by loudhvx.

More
23 Jul 2009 17:16 #308894 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Frame modification
If you do weld a piece back in there, make sure it will clear the tire with the shocks compressed. Seems like a no brainer, but you'd be surprised.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2009 17:35 #308901 by clutch
KawiConvert wrote:

If you do weld a piece back in there, make sure it will clear the tire with the shocks compressed. Seems like a no brainer, but you'd be surprised.

I checked, and it would be in the way of the spectre fender. Though, after thinking about it, the spectre rear grab bar will serve a similar purpose when securely installed. I think I will be ok without welding.

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
23 Jul 2009 17:41 #308904 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Frame modification
Obviously I'm no expert, but looking at the diagram I would be a bit concerned about the possibility of the frame rails spreading under load where the top of the shocks mount. From the top of the shocks rearward there will be nothing but the little flat bridge to keep the frame geometry stable. If you cut the frame I would suggest that you weld a section of stiff tubing (old frame member?) to join the 2 ends of the frame rail so they can't become misaligned when you hit that unexpected pothole while knifing through a turn. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Aug 2009 20:37 #314491 by demonseed7
Replied by demonseed7 on topic Frame modification
i have the same bike kz750e and i made the same cut you are purposing, i haven't noticed any twisting or bending there, only thing i noticed was the tire was, is not centered between the frame, i suspect my bike has been dumped hard though. i went for the same look you mention'd you wanted, used a fendor and seat from a 65 harley, works great after the bugs were worked out, also welded a sissy bar into the open frame holes from the cut, well heres a pic of it so you can see what im talking about
Attachments:

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Aug 2009 21:11 #314498 by clutch
demonseed,

Thanks TONS for your reply! Your bike looks great. Is your rear end lowered? If so...how did you do it? Also, it is hard to tell from that pic, but did you lower the front end by hiking up the forks higher into the tree? If so...how does it ride like that? I'm DYING to lower this bike. I love the clearance, but hate not being able to flat foot it at lights and stop signs. Oh...and as far as the off-center wheel. I think that is an old kz thing. My 80 kz 250 was slightly off, and my 82 kz750 is slightly off too.

Thanks,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
17 Aug 2009 03:04 #314527 by demonseed7
Replied by demonseed7 on topic Frame modification
no the rear is stock height. i do run into the occasionaly bottoming out of the fendor if i carry a passenger, so i just up'd the tension on my shocks. and the forks are "still" stock