Lowering a 1980 Shaft Drive

More
17 Jul 2009 13:45 #307608 by Splandman
Lowering a 1980 Shaft Drive was created by Splandman
Probably a dumb question, but I'm wondering if there's an easy way to lower my shaft drive bike an inch or two. I have short legs and when at stop lights have to lean just a bit to sit flat footed or kind of be on my toes when sitting straight up.

My friend has a 1974 KZ900 with extended swing arm and a smaller rear wheel that feels perfect. Can you put a smaller wheel on a shaft easily?

I was just going to ride this bike til it blew up and then rebuild it, but my buddy wrecked it the other day so now I'm thinking of a complete rebuild.

Current Bikes
1980 KZ1000E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2009 12:13 #319693 by Kwschin
Replied by Kwschin on topic Lowering a 1980 Shaft Drive
Dang, nobody's responded. I need to do the same and thought I'D find a solution here. I'm thinking of shorter fork tubes and rear coil-overs.

More
07 Sep 2009 13:18 #319707 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Lowering a 1980 Shaft Drive
You should be able to slide the fork tubes up into the triple tree some which might give you an inch or so. At the rear you will have to find shocks that are shorter that still bolt on. I've heard that certain Harley shocks fit but are shorter. Just make sure that you lower both front and rear equally to maintain factory geometry. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!