Disc brake rear sets and drum brakes fab ?tion.

More
12 Jul 2009 18:43 #306570 by Yojymbo!
So I have some rear sets from a 01-03 GSXR and am going (some how) to use them on my 650. The problem is the rear sets are meant for disc brakes and so bull straigt down instead of forward. I am trying to figure a way to do it such as using a cable. Does anyone have a simple solution to this problem, I'm trying to get the spacers machined and want to have all the kinks worked out before heading to the machinist. Thanks for any solutions or ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2009 19:02 #306576 by PLUMMEN
do you have a picture of the rearsets? it would make it easier to visualize what youre doing B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Jul 2009 20:34 #306636 by Yojymbo!
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2009 20:35 #306637 by Yojymbo!
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2009 20:39 #306640 by Yojymbo!

You see the brake pulls straight down to operate the MC of a R. disker, I need ot to operate a drum brake. I guess I could have the old cam welded or machined into the pivot point, that's the best I've come up with so far but making the clearance from the frame is going to be a problem and it won't look nice. Maybe if I use a spacer of some kind and sheath it all in SS steal tubing it won't look bad and work properly, but I'm open to suggestions.
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2009 13:43 #306753 by PLUMMEN
hang on im thinking! :laugh:

More
13 Jul 2009 14:36 #306766 by Yojymbo!
I think the best way is to use the rear set wired to the old remounted Cam gear. Weld a small piece 90 degrees from the cam, pull the cam gear down, it pulls the brake forward. It's going to require a tiny bit of welding to attach it the lever and house the cam but should look decent. Still open to suggestion though, going to take it to the fabrication guy and bang heads tomorrow. Maybe well strike on something amazing.

More
13 Jul 2009 18:33 #306844 by rstnick
Have a look through here for ideas: Rear-sets & BRAKES

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
13 Jul 2009 18:50 #306851 by PLUMMEN
Yojymbo! wrote:

I think the best way is to use the rear set wired to the old remounted Cam gear. Weld a small piece 90 degrees from the cam, pull the cam gear down, it pulls the brake forward. It's going to require a tiny bit of welding to attach it the lever and house the cam but should look decent. Still open to suggestion though, going to take it to the fabrication guy and bang heads tomorrow. Maybe well strike on something amazing.

thats what im thinking too,rotate the cam/lever on brake drum and bend up a really stout rod to connect to brake pedal.maybe come up with some sort of bell crank mounted midway to make changing direction of pull easier! B) i wish i knew how to draw on the computer! :S :laugh: