Advice on fitting new brake lines

More
07 Jul 2009 14:37 #305131 by greychur
Advice on fitting new brake lines was created by greychur
Hi,

Just fitted Goodridge braided brakes lines to my 1979 KZ1000ST, after cleaning out the master cylinder and calipers, and fitting new seals and new master cylinder mechanism. Everything was going so well. I even found a hole in one of the master cylinder rubbers that may have been causing my spongy brake action. Anyway, fitted the new rear brake line first to get a feel for it. No problem. Wasn't sure how tight to do up the new banjos and Clymer manual didn't specify, so went with the standard figure given for the bolt size which was 22ft/lb. Seemed like a lot on a hollow bolt with a hole through it, but I gritted my teeth and tightened it to 22ft/lb with a torque wrench. Filled the master cylinder and pumped the fluid through until no more air came out, and all fine.

Front brake, different story. 22ft/lb seemed too much so I did them up at 15ft/lb with "felt" about right, especially since the old ones did not not seem tight to undo. Filled the master cylinder and started to pump the fluid through -- fluid all over my front mudguard and the floor. Seemed to be coming from just one joint where you have to use a double banjo. Tried tightening it to 20ft/lb, still leaked. Kept tightening it and eventually it sheared (got the broken end out, so one small success!). I have a genuine Kaw manual for my KZ650 and that gives a figure of 21-22ft/lb for the brake line banjos. So I set my torque wrench to 21ft/lb and started to tighten the banjo on one of the calipers but felt it going soft, like it was about to shear so I stopped.

My question is am I doing these up too tight? Or are the banjos I got with my brake line kit of inferior quality (it's a Goodridge kit through a reseller). Any thoughts?

Next question. On the double banjo for the front brake splitter, should there be a washer between the two banjos as well as under the banjo head and at the splitter? There was on the original setup, but there were not enough washers supplied with the kit for one between the two banjo bolts. I tried both with (using an old washer -- all I had) and without a washer here and it leaked both ways.

I am going to have to buy some new banjos and copper washers, but thought I better get some advice in case I mess it up again.

Sorry for long post and thanks for any help.

Paul

Paul
1978 Z650C2. Marshall 4 into 1. Newtronic ignition. Otherwise stock(ish).
1979 KZ1000ST. Harris 4 into 1. Dyna S.
Hampshire, England

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2009 18:11 #305163 by cmmman
Replied by cmmman on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
You definately need a new washer between the two banjos. also make sure there is nothing on where the lines are being bolted on that will keep the sides from sealing.

i would lose the torque wrench for this job and just go till it feels tight.

1977 KZ650B, modified.

More
07 Jul 2009 18:25 - 07 Jul 2009 18:26 #305169 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
banjo washers are soft, so as you bring the torque up it feels soft.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2009 18:26 by hoghaterkaw.

More
07 Jul 2009 19:13 #305196 by KYKZ1100
Replied by KYKZ1100 on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
I just did my brake lines a couple of weeks ago. I used the original banjo bolts but bought new Goodridge banjo fittings with the lines. I used new 3/8" crush washers, including between the fittings on the front splitter, and torqued all the bolts to 22 ft-lbs and nothing leaked. Z1 has a package of 10 crush washers you can buy separately from the lines and fittings, but you can probably get them at an auto store also. I might have a couple of extra banjo bolts if you want to try another stock one, but I don't have the one that goes through the two banjos into the splitter.

1981 KZ1100A1 Shaft
2007 BMW R1200R

More
08 Jul 2009 05:01 #305298 by greychur
Replied by greychur on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
Thanks for all your advice. Thank you KYKZ1100 for the offer of the banjo bolts. I will pass on this but thank you all the same. I have ordered some new bolts and washers from Z-Power here in the UK. (Get most of my parts from ZIE but in this case the international postage was too high for these few light items.) When the parts arrive I will try again and keep all of your advice in mind.

Thanks again.

Paul
PS This would happen when my other bike is out of action with a nail in the trye! Isn't that always the way!

Paul
Hampshire, England

More
09 Jul 2009 15:15 #305710 by greychur
I removed the banjo bolt that felt soft when I tightened it and had a look at it. The fluid hole has elongated in the tightening direction and there is a "fault line" where I think it would have sheared with a little more tightening. I bought the Goodridge braided brake line kit from an ebay reseller. The hoses look like genuine Goodridge but I wonder if they supplied some cheap and nasty banjo bolts that are barely up to the job. It would explain why the kit was so cheap! Pic below (I hope).
[img size=200]C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\My Pictures\20090709\DSCN2787.JPG[/img]

Paul
Hampshire, England
Attachments:

More
09 Jul 2009 17:23 #305740 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
I originally went with Russell brake lines and I could never get them to seal properly as well....

Then I cam across these beauties...
A little more expensive but custom fit lengths, custom banjo angles or fittings and hose and banjo color options... ;)

spieglerusa.com/

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Jul 2009 18:51 - 09 Jul 2009 18:56 #305779 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
Z1E carries a large selection of brake hoses, banjo bolts, etc. :cheer:

If they don't leak, there're tight enough. Keep Godzilla away from there. :lol:

FSM specifies 21~22 ft-lbs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Jul 2009 18:56 by Patton.

More
10 Jul 2009 23:40 #306118 by switch
Replied by switch on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
I had similar experience in the last couple weeks. Torqued to 22 ft-lbs per manual. When I sheared the M/C bolt, I noticed that the crush washers were DEFORMED. That is they not only flattened, but they also were forced into the space between bolt and fitting.
My wrench assured me that hand tightening would work just as well, but I have not been able to get any brake lever yet, in spite of using a vacuum bleeder.

1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (gone)
You do not have to believe everything you think!

More
11 Jul 2009 12:59 #306204 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
I just reused the stock banjo bolts when I installed new Goodridge lines & fittings.

More
12 Jul 2009 14:58 #306532 by greychur
Finally received my new (genuine Kaw) banjo bolts and washers in the post and fitted them. Did as advised. Left Godzilla on the shelf and tightened by hand. Initially leaked at the double banjo and at one caliper (left the other front caliper fixed with the fittings supplied with the kit since not leaking). Comparing the Goodrigde line against the standard Kaw lines, the banjos are a little thinner on the Goodridge lines, and with the standard Kaw banjo bolts being longer than those supplied with the kit, they could not be tightened down enough to seal. Some will probably not think this a good idea but I solved the problem by doubling up on the washers. I put two washers each side of the caliper banjo, and on the the double banjo fitting I used two washers at each end and two in the middle. Tightened it all down by hand and, at last, no leaks! (Hoghaterkaw, thanks for the tip about it feeling soft when the copper washers squash down; I felt it do that.)

Pumped the fluid through and bled it as per manual, except that I don't use tubes and jars of fluid. Much easier to just let it squirt on the floor and rinse it away when finished. New pads need to bed in and I think there will be a couple more bleeding sessions after a few days use, but otherwise great.

Thanks for helping out with all your advice. Much appreciated.

Paul

Paul
Hampshire, England

More
12 Jul 2009 15:20 #306535 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Advice on fitting new brake lines
I found using the tube and a jar helped me see when the air bubbles stopped coming out and was less likely to suck in more air, not to mention clean-up was much easier and less chance of the nasty stuff getting on anything important. It is pretty nasty stuff. Also letting it sit overnight and rapping the lines a few times the next day got a few bubbles to rise into the reservoir and resulted in a nice hard lever.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"