Rear Brake Locked Up

More
03 Jul 2009 13:47 #304177 by zkellogg
Rear Brake Locked Up was created by zkellogg
I was out riding today when the rear brake locked up on me. I wasn't moving very quickly when it happened and it didn't cause an accident or anything, but it was difficult getting back home as starting from a stop required lots of throttle and burning the clutch. Pedal was firm like it had been pumped up (like when you're bleeding the brakes). When I got home the rear caliper/pad was smoking. I was able to unlock the brake by cracking open the bleed nipple. The rear still feels like it's dragging. Any suggestions?

1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2009 14:01 - 03 Jul 2009 14:03 #304183 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rear Brake Locked Up
I would try flushing the fluid and bleeding it to make sure there is nothing funky in the line. If it still hangs up, I would guess a problem with the master cylinder or caliper piston assembly.

One other thing is to make sure the caliper assy is free to slide on the pins. My wife;s car started dragging the front bakes and it was because the grease they used on the pins had congealed and was hanging up the caliper. As the pads got hot and expanded, the brakes would drag.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Jul 2009 14:03 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Jul 2009 14:47 #304185 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rear Brake Locked Up
Would also adjust brake rod for more gap before contacting m/c piston upon depressing brake pedal.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Jul 2009 15:10 #304187 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Rear Brake Locked Up
check the little supply/return hole in bottem of mastercylinder to see if its plugged with something not allowing fluid to return.also check your brake pads and flush your fluid as im sure all that heat didnt do them any favors :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Jul 2009 15:27 #304192 by wrangler615
Replied by wrangler615 on topic Rear Brake Locked Up
If you could crack the bleeder and release the pressure it sounds like a problem with the master or line. Sometimes a softline can break down internally and get what acts like a check valve inside of it. To narrow down between line or master, try cracking the line loose at the master and see if it relieves pressure there. If so, suspect master. If not, suspect line.

83 Kaw KZ750F1 - massive money pit
82 Zuki GS1100G - my daily driver, possible sacrilege I know

More
03 Jul 2009 16:40 #304202 by zkellogg
Replied by zkellogg on topic Rear Brake Locked Up
Thanks guys, I'm going to get into it tonight and I'll report back.

1977 KZ1000

More
04 Jul 2009 12:35 #304369 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Rear Brake Locked Up
well whats the news? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Jul 2009 22:21 #304496 by zkellogg
Replied by zkellogg on topic Rear Brake Locked Up
Drained the brake fluid and refilled/bled the brake. Took it for a quick spin around the block and everything seems normal. I need to test it when it's really hot out like it was yesterday when it locked up. I'm almost wondering if the old brake fluid was breaking down and expanding in the lines. The fluid appeared to be in pretty bad shape. I went back with DOT 4 that should hold up to more heat.

1977 KZ1000