Stretched Chain Question

More
04 Jul 2009 03:44 #304298 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Stretched Chain Question
wow :woohoo: just change your chain and sprockets with all new. problem solved

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2009 05:37 #304307 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Stretched Chain Question
Ok, just my two worthless cents worth here...

BUY A FREAKIN NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKETS!

Seriously, this is one part of your bike you don't mess with or take lightly...

Think about it, your doing 60-85mph and this old chain breaks/snaps, get's jammed in your real wheel, wraps around your leg who knows! Your TOAST mi amigo!

Again, take this as one of the most serious components of your ride. If in doubt, replace it... Do not cut corners and go cheap here on this matter...

New chain and sprocket isn't that much compared to your life/well being...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
04 Jul 2009 20:26 - 04 Jul 2009 20:26 #304489 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stretched Chain Question
halkaloogie wrote: "I have a KZ1000 and it will go through a non roller chain in a few weeks"

What is a "non roller chain?" I thought all chains, even the cheapest China junk, have rollers.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 Jul 2009 20:26 by 650ed.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
04 Jul 2009 21:40 #304492 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Stretched Chain Question
Well it is easy to say, buy a new chain! It always comes back to chain maintenance. I have had cheap chains that have lasted for a long time. Then I have had high dollar chains, that lasted no time.

The best I could say is, always check the chain adjustment, lube the chain every week. Use a good chain lube and a fair amount, of lube on the chain and sprockets. It's easier to wipe off the back rim, then to buy a chain and change it.

So buy some good lube, when you buy those new chain and sprockets.............................

PS- When you lube the chain, get out your WD-40 and lube everything else, on the bike. (levers, hinges, peddles, locks, cables, throttle, chokes, etc.)

More
06 Jul 2009 09:36 #304732 by coydogg
Replied by coydogg on topic Stretched Chain Question
How is this a stupid question? Wondering how bad a chain can get before needing a new one? Thanks to everyone else that replied with answers that werent as retarded as saltydog's. I went to a shop and a guy looked at it and said it still has life left on it. it just has one to many links in it for some reason so I took it out and now my chain is fine. But I am going to be ordering a new chain and sprokets next week.

More
09 Jul 2009 17:48 #305747 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Stretched Chain Question
Let me see if I have this right. I am a retard because I don't won't to ride on 700 miles on a chain that is stretched so far that it need to have a link removed?
Hope you have some one with a trailer or a pick up truck too Haul your dumb ass back home.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

More
09 Jul 2009 18:13 #305760 by leorider
Replied by leorider on topic Stretched Chain Question
I agree with saltydog. I had a chain go bad on me. I was at a stop sign. I took off and POP...the chain fell off. Lucky I was only a couple of miles away that I just called my brother and he brought over his pickup truck. It so worth it to get a new chain. Just one of those items you change before it breaks.

78 KZ650B

More
09 Jul 2009 19:36 #305793 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Stretched Chain Question
I removed two links on the drag bike today. I thought the PO probably had used two pieces of chain since the swingarm is extended. WRONG!

The chain was near the adjustment limit when i bought the bike and when i instaled a 14 tooth sprocket is was at the limit. Chain and sprockets are good. Chain just too long.

I agree on the method of pulling on the chain at the rear of the sprocket when the chain is tightened to check for streach. Learned that on my first bike. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000