Stretched Chain Question

More
01 Jul 2009 20:54 #303782 by coydogg
Stretched Chain Question was created by coydogg
I think my bike is ready for a new chain. I was just wondering how far some of you guys will push a stretched chain? Me and my friends were going to go on a 700 mile round trip (Salt Lake, UT to Durango, CO) this weekend leaving friday morning. I just dont know if I should keep pushing my chain or not. My options are go on the ride with my bad chain or not go and get a new chain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2009 21:17 #303789 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Stretched Chain Question
When you replace the chain, do the sprockets too. Old parts will quickly wear out the new ones.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Jul 2009 21:27 #303792 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Stretched Chain Question
coydogg wrote:

I think my bike is ready for a new chain. I was just wondering how far some of you guys will push a stretched chain? Me and my friends were going to go on a 700 mile round trip (Salt Lake, UT to Durango, CO) this weekend leaving friday morning. I just dont know if I should keep pushing my chain or not. My options are go on the ride with my bad chain or not go and get a new chain.

The problem with worn chains is they get loose spots which means they might hop off at a bad time. Hard to say how bad yours is.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Jul 2009 21:38 #303795 by coydogg
Replied by coydogg on topic Stretched Chain Question
it is pretty consistant in its looseness. I have rolled it all the way around and felt the tension and one spot gets a little tighter but not much.

Is a chain for a 78 kz 1000 something that I will just be able to get at a local shop? Cause if thats the case I might be able to take my bike in and get a new chain and still be able to go on my ride. I just dont have a chain breaker or anything to do it myself.

More
02 Jul 2009 00:19 #303808 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Stretched Chain Question
Yes, you´ll find good chains in most of bike shops. Get both new sprockets and a chain at the same time otherwise you´ll wear out the new chain very fast. They are a combo.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
02 Jul 2009 11:23 #303887 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stretched Chain Question
When is the last time it was adjusted and was that performed properly (about 1" play at tightest spot)?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Jul 2009 13:20 #303905 by bountyhunter
coydogg wrote:

it is pretty consistant in its looseness. I have rolled it all the way around and felt the tension and one spot gets a little tighter but not much.

Is a chain for a 78 kz 1000 something that I will just be able to get at a local shop? Cause if thats the case I might be able to take my bike in and get a new chain and still be able to go on my ride. I just dont have a chain breaker or anything to do it myself.

Z1 enterprises can sell you a very good chain and sprockets for a lot less than local shops will. Believe me, I looked around (even on the net) before I bought mine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Jul 2009 13:23 #303906 by bountyhunter
coydogg wrote:

The only way to know if it has reached it's death is to measure stretch by hanging a weight on it and measuring between a fixed number of links. I think they allow maybe 2% stretch? More than that and the rollers are not engaging the gears properly and grind the teeth off the gears.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Jul 2009 15:49 #303929 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Stretched Chain Question
stupid question. If it won't make the trip, get a new one. Probaly need new sprockets, also.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

More
02 Jul 2009 18:50 #303970 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Stretched Chain Question
a quick and dirty chain check. adjust the chain to the correct slack. then at the back sprocket pull the chain away from the sprocket in a straight line from the output sprocket. if you can lift the chain more than half the tooth depth your chain needs replaced.

More
03 Jul 2009 01:58 - 03 Jul 2009 02:00 #304038 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Stretched Chain Question
saltydog wrote:

stupid question. If it won't make the trip, get a new one. Probaly need new sprockets, also.

Stupid answer :P

NOT probably! It´s a MUST to change chain and sprockets at the same time. Sprockets wear out and they don´t fit new chain exactly and the new chain will wear out in no time.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...
Last edit: 03 Jul 2009 02:00 by Z1109R Fin.

More
03 Jul 2009 20:49 #304272 by halkaloogie
Replied by halkaloogie on topic Stretched Chain Question
It's false that sprockets and chains wear out at the same intervals. Chains are stupid things and can wear out quickly I have a KZ1000 and it will go through a non roller chain in a few weeks meaning it will stretch over 2 inches due to the low end torch> you should change both sprockets at the same time