530 or 630 chain?

More
26 Jun 2009 17:39 #302330 by charwood89
530 or 630 chain? was created by charwood89
I've got a 1982 KZ750E3 with stock gearing and 630 chain. That's 13 teeth in front, 33 rear, and 84 links total.

My chain has one or two stuck links that cause noticeable vibration at lower speeds and can be pretty noisy. After some research, I figured it'd be beneficial to replace the chain and both sprockets. The sprockets seem just fine, but I figured I'd be conservative about it.

Here's where my dilemma comes in. I'm stuck between 630 and 530 chain. The 630 is more expensive and, from what I've read, unnecessarily heavy.

If I go to a 102 link 530 with 16 teeth on the front and 42 on the rear, I'll get a modest boost in acceleration as well as saving some weight and a few bucks.

Problem is, I can't seem to find any 530 chain that is rated for more than a 500cc street bike. This is my first time shopping for chain, so I don't know how much credence to give the "max engine displacement" specification on these chains. Does anybody have a recommended chain that I could get? I'm trying to keep cost down to a minimum, so I don't need O-ring chains or anything fancy. I'm really just concerned about the strength and the cost.

Or should I just stick to 630?

Thanks all, and sorry for the overly-long post.

Casey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2009 18:14 #302337 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 530 or 630 chain?
Well there are quite a few postings and discussions on the subject matter, use the search function and you'll find them all...

As for weight, you're speaking ~ 1 pound in weight difference, if that...

As for pricing, the 630 O-ring chain is actually cheaper so not sure where your getting your data from...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
26 Jun 2009 19:14 #302354 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 530 or 630 chain?
See Z1E's info, by clicking here > chain and sprockets and conversion info

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Jun 2009 13:30 #302753 by charwood89
Replied by charwood89 on topic 530 or 630 chain?
Thanks for the replies, guys. My apologies, there were a lot of past postings that addressed my issue. I should have searched before cluttering the forum with another of these repeat-threads.

I found the Z1E link very helpful. I've been a big fan of the site for quite a while.

I did discover, after removing my chain, that my "stuck links" were actually just very very stiff. I'm pretty diligent about lubing, but I don't think the previous owner was. I soaked them in some liquid wrench and worked each link back and forth until all moved freely, and then doused it in a ton of chain lube. I measured it at a hair under 64.25 inches, which is a 1.98% elongation. My sprocket doesn't show any "wave" pattern on the teeth, and all of the teeth are the same length, with no excessive end wear.

If I'm able to reinstall it without the previous tight and loose spots, I'm thinking I'll leave it on for the rest of the summer, or until I hit the 2.5% elongation mark. I'm planning on selling this machine at the end of the summer anyways, so I'd rather not invest a hundred bucks in chain and sprockets only to ride it for a half-season.

Thanks kindly,
Casey
Attachments: