Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets

More
20 Jun 2009 19:39 #300978 by Yojymbo!
Has anybody done this? It would clean up the back end so much, I'm too tall to ride with rear sets anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2009 23:26 #301243 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets
I did on my 78. I took a while to get it all smooth but it's cool now.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
22 Jun 2009 02:52 #301255 by NUB118
MY 80 750 IS CUT RIGHT BEHIND THE OPERATOR SEAT. IT IS A LITTLE SHORT AND MAKING A SEAT PAN FIT RIGHT WAS TOUGH. I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT CUT IT TO SHORT WITH YOU BEING TALL. THE REAR TIRE ON MINE IS JUST BEHIND MY HIND END. MINE DON'T HAVE A REAR FENDER, BUT I LIKE IT THAT WAY. YOU BEING TALL, YOU WILL PROLLY NEED ONE.LOL!

IF YOU RUN......YOU'LL ONLY GO TO JAIL TIRED!!!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2009 04:00 #301257 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets
Looks much better without the stock rear pegs. Easy enough to adapt modern peg setup for passanger as well.
Attachments:

More
22 Jun 2009 04:19 #301259 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets
I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'5" and my wife can still squeeze her feet onto pegs at the stock passenger location and I'm running Tarozzi rearsets on my 1000. On my 900 I'm also running Tarozzi rearsets but I did cut the brackets off and have R1 passenger pegs and brackets mounted.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
22 Jun 2009 04:49 #301261 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets
I dropped my frame off at the welder to get some bracing put in (might as well go balls out right) and he had a bucket of parts he was throwing away, apparently he works on bikes as well. He let me pick through it and I came away with 2 sets of GSXR passenger pets/bracket, and a pair of GSXR rear sets that are mint along with a master cylinder and clutch lever. A little fabbing and it's going to be nice. I'm also cutting out the sheet metal under the steering stem and on the area between the tank and engine where the cheasy reflectors go. Bracing looks cooler. SO, good bye ugly japanese welds, hello sick and trick.:woohoo:

More
22 Jun 2009 06:52 #301298 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets
StreetfighterKz wrote:

I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'5" and my wife can still squeeze her feet onto pegs at the stock passenger location and I'm running Tarozzi rearsets on my 1000. On my 900 I'm also running Tarozzi rearsets but I did cut the brackets off and have R1 passenger pegs and brackets mounted.

Later, Doug

very nice work there dougie....

More
22 Jun 2009 18:29 #301428 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets
good excuse for a turbo and a banana pipe! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
22 Jun 2009 18:43 #301431 by 1978z1r
Replied by 1978z1r on topic Cutting off rear passanger mounting brackets
I did the same setup you as previously described about ten years ago. I used GSXR front sets with a little mods to the fram and used the rear shock mount along with an added port to mount GSXR rear sets. My riders have to bend the knees a little but it created a great deal of clearence. I welded in a mono-strut and it made a real cool naked look on the rear of the bike.
Good luck