Twisted Front Need Help

More
10 Jun 2009 09:47 #298010 by DoubleL3
Twisted Front Need Help was created by DoubleL3
So I picked up this 1981 KZ550 for fairly cheap and it was in good running order but the handle bars weren't quite lined up right. I thought is was something stupid like the bar was bent but it seems like there is more to the issue.

this is how it sits in my garage right now

What should i check first? I went through and nothing strikes me as being obviously off.
Im trying to figure out which parts are good and which ones are bad, because I dont want to have to by a whole new front end.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2009 11:20 #298025 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Twisted Front Need Help
I ran into this once years ago myself. Before buying any parts, try to make sure the forks are inline. You can't tell my looking most times. Loosen the bolts on the triple trees. Not enough to drop the forks but enough so they can move. Then try to align the front wheel with the forks. Lots of times you can eye it from sitting on the bike or may have to do it from the front. As you can see it's off now, you can see if you can straighten them out by just twisting the front end and letting them re-align themselves by slight adjustments by moving the forks in the trees. Might be an easy fix or you might have to use some force. On a dirt bike I used to put front wheel against a bench or pole, etc. and just put pressure on them to twist or tap them against the pole, etc. for added persuasion. Just don't get too ambitious with the force. Usually they will twist back into place. Keep working at them till the front wheel looks in line with the handlebars. Tighten all the bolts vack up and try it. If that don't work, remove the forks and check to be sure the fork tubes aren't bent. Usually an easy fix. Doesn't take a lot to get front end out of alighment, The bike can be twisted but still track straight down the rode but the bars are jsut pointed off-line. That's usually a sign of the forks just needing some adjustment in the trees. Give it a try and let us know what you find.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
10 Jun 2009 13:16 #298050 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Twisted Front Need Help
Same thing. We bought a beautiful 8,000 mi. 550LTD that the owner had laid down at little more than walking speed. When you rode it you got dizzy it was crabbing so bad. Guy said he took it to a mech and he said the frame was sprung. His father wanted it out of his garage and made the kid sell it to us for $200. Kid wanted $600. Got it home and loosened the trips and you could see it spring back to straight. After replacing the bars she tracked like an arrow. Fantastic bike. Good luck.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
11 Jun 2009 06:19 #298295 by DoubleL3
Replied by DoubleL3 on topic Twisted Front Need Help
I fixed it last nite.

The problem seemed to be misaligned triple trees, because all parts where straight and measured square, so i had a heavy rubbermaid garbage can that i just beat the front wheel against a couple of times and that straightened everything out

thanks for the help

More
11 Jun 2009 15:09 #298451 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Twisted Front Need Help
Good! Glad that was the case.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110