How Much Better are Dual Front Discs vs. Single?

• WABBMW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
03 Jun 2009 13:58 #296053 by WABBMW
I see numerous posts about "How To" convert from Single front disc brakes to Dual, but very little about how much improvement can be expected. I presume that it reduces the force required on the front brake lever for stopping from a given speed, but are there other benefits?

I hesitate to go to all the trouble and expense, plus adding the weight of another disc and caliper unless the results are significant. I know that Dual discs on a KZ will not stop like a modern sport bike, but how much difference will it make?

Thanks for the input.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2009 14:07 #296060 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic How Much Better are Dual Front Discs vs. Single?
The only real benefit is that under severe riding, the brakes will "stay in" a lot longer and not fade out from heat saturation. I think for racing it's a real benefit, for street riding the single disc on mine whill brake so hard it will put your face through the windshield. The maximum stopping force is limited by the front tire's traction, not the brakes friction.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Jun 2009 14:09 #296061 by otakar
Not to sound stupid, but it is literally twice as good. The major effect is that you are putting torque on both forks equally, reducing any twisting forces. When I get off of mi GPz1100 and get on my KZ900, it feels like my breaks are failing. What you will have to get used to is the extra dive.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
03 Jun 2009 15:08 #296067 by racer54
Had the single front disc brake on my Z1 for years and thought the brakes were fine. Had to squeeze harder then I wanted too but they stopped me in good fashion. Bought me a 1980 LTD with dual disc front brakes. Every time I would use the brakes, I kept hearing a squealing sound. Inspected the brakes and couldn't find anything. This went on for a few days and then one day after using the front brakes and hearing the squeal, I happened to look back. All this time, the dual brakes weren't squealing...the brakes were so good I was actually sliding the front tire and leaving black marks. Big difference in performance...and this was from stock brakes. Can't imagine what it would be like on a new bike, but those dual brakes made a believer out of me. Worthy improvement in my book in most circumstances. Maybe not on a dragbike on where weight might be an issue but otherwise, dual brakes are GREAT!!!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
03 Jun 2009 15:57 #296089 by arai59
These old single piston brakes aren't that good to begin with so 2 will be better than one. Try to find a 79-80 master cylinder. It has a larger bore and will provide better pressure.

More
03 Jun 2009 17:17 #296104 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic How Much Better are Dual Front Discs vs. Single?
but how much difference will it make?

Thanks for the input.[/quote]

A Lot!!

You wouldn't believe it.

All the diffrence in the world. Roy:ohmy:

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
03 Jun 2009 17:20 #296105 by otakar
One modification I would do in conjunction with adding the second disc, is to install air caps and put a little pressure in the forks. This will reduce the dive and will make the brakes even more affective.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
03 Jun 2009 17:24 #296108 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic How Much Better are Dual Front Discs vs. Single?
You are adding considerable unsprung weight to the front - well over 10lbs of weight depending on the disk rotors and calipers used.

This can result in much more shock coming up to the bars - changing out fork springs or going with slightly heavier weight fork oil can help.

On a bike like the Z1, I don't like double disks - I've run them, and removed them - just too much weight. Yes, you do get slightly more braking force, but you are still at the mercy of the tire...

The Z1, KZ900 and 77 KZ1000A used 7mm thick rotors. This progressed to drilled rotors, then 4.5mm drilled rotors on late 70's KZ's with double disks.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
03 Jun 2009 17:26 #296109 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic How Much Better are Dual Front Discs vs. Single?
Bill I may be wrong on this because my 650 CSR is an 81 and yours is an 82 but I don't think you have the needed mounts on the lower fork tube for a second caliper on your bike.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
03 Jun 2009 17:28 #296110 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic How Much Better are Dual Front Discs vs. Single
racer54 wrote:

Had the single front disc brake on my Z1 for years and thought the brakes were fine. Had to squeeze harder then I wanted too but they stopped me in good fashion. Bought me a 1980 LTD with dual disc front brakes. Every time I would use the brakes, I kept hearing a squealing sound. /// one day after using the front brakes and hearing the squeal, I happened to look back. All this time, the dual brakes weren't squealing...the brakes were so good I was actually sliding the front tire and leaving black marks.

That's the point I was making: the single disc can stop the wheel dead and so the maximum braking is limited by the traction of the front tire. How is it any different if two discs are locking the wheel or one?

It may be true that duals would give a specific amount of stopping action for less pressure applied to the brake lever. But, if I can lock the wheel with a medium pull, why would I care at what pressure my normal braking action is?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Jun 2009 18:22 #296138 by 650ed
Dual front disks do result in additional unsprung weight, but they apply braking forces evenly to both fork legs and require less lever pressure because you have double the energy transfer/heat dissipation for a given level of pressure. With a really sticky front tire that doesn't skid on dry pavement I believe the dual disks make hard braking considerably easier. With the Michelins of old, I couldn't make the front tire skid on dry roads even though I could easily brake hard enough that I had to be careful not to end up sitting on the tank. I don't know if the single disk setup could apply that kind of braking force, but if so it would certainly require an iron grip. Unfortunately, the current Michelin Macadams don't stick as well as the old A-48's, so I am forced to remember not to apply too much pressure or the front tire will skid a little. I guess either setup will work, it's a matter of how much or little lever pressure you’re comfortable with. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Jun 2009 19:38 #296162 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic How Much Better are Dual Front Discs vs. Single
I have been riding dual disk for a long time. One or two fingers on the brake lever is all that is needed. I hardly used rear brakes.

The bike i got now i use four fingers and the rear brakes and it is a lot of effort to get the thing stopped. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000