once again to those with a suspension conversion

More
10 Oct 2005 05:54 #296 by galaxian
to those with a ZX7 or other conversions...

Give me your specs.

Fork
Wheels and sizes please
swingarm

Here is my current setup that i do not have installed yet.

96- zx7 forks and brakes.
96 - zx7 wheels

Still looking for a swingarm and clipons so suggestions are welcomed.

I would like to keep this thread as an open dialog for those who have already done the conversion only. This way we can have all the info we need and not have to sift through useless posts (questions are not useless just ramblig oh you know what i mean;))

We need a conversion forum this would make searching so much easier. Hint Stein Hint

[Edited on 7-10-2005 by galaxian]

1979 kz650 c3

elseed

Posts 360
Registered 7-10-2003
Location Tucson, AZ

Mood: Stop Z Spending
posted on 7-10-2005 at 11:08 AM

'89-90 ZX7 (ZX750H) forks, triples, fender -- nearly straight swap, just need bearing shims with KZ tapered bearings, no machining required. Stem length is great. Reduced steering range, but OK. Steering bump stops just barely allow triple to tap tank. I used aftermarket LSL superbike bars top triple (ZXR750 in European terms).

'90 ZX-11 (ZX1100C) wheels, axles, hubs, and brakes front and rear -- 120/70 17" front, 180/55 17" rear. You can fit anything between 170-190 on rear, but 190 is too big for my swingarm setup, chain hits tire (swingarm see below).

JMC custom-ordered rear swingarm from www.swingarms.com in the UK. Nearly stock length, Z1 as frame fitment, ZX11C as "donor wheel". Kept dual shock setup. Expensive, gorgeous, took forever to get here, turned out I still had to do a lot of mods (including welding) to make it fit. Most issues were due to very wide ZX11 axle which put shocks/chain/sprocket all in the same space. Ultimately had to machine down sprocket carrier (9mm), move shock mounts outboard slightly.

Other miscellany:
- Used PMFR outboard bearing support kit with 7/8" offset sprocket and 530 chain conversion (to match ZX11 wheel). Geared very low right now, but cannot find bigger offset front sprocket, smaller rear causes chain to drag on swingarm unless I lower (use shorter shocks). Fine for everything except long freeway hauls.
- Used aftermarket Lucas rearsets with ZX11 rear master cylinder. Had to modify to fit Z1, though I think they fit later KZ1000. Expensive, great looking, mounted very high (knees real bent!).
- Cut my own brake lines, Goodridge hoses and fittings I think, both front and rear.

Edit: In these deals it is important to remember the variations in donor parts, especially model years. For example: ZX-7 name was used for a long time with substantial design changes. I can tell you how my specific parts worked, but unfortunately know nothing about how a different years part changed, etc.

[Edited on 7-10-2005 by elseed]

'75 Z1 streetfighter

galaxian

Posting Freak

Posts 579
Registered 17-12-2002
Location chicago
Member Is Online

Mood:
posted on 7-10-2005 at 11:46 AM

Elseed great info!

Just so its clear. If i convert my stock KZ bearing to the tapered ones all I will need is this shim and the stem should fit right in correct? Got a part number?

1979 kz650 c3

RollingStock

Posts 142
Registered 11-8-2004
Location bradenton, FL

Mood: bored
posted on 7-10-2005 at 11:54 AM

iv got

86 zx600 frontend( forks, trees, rim,brakes,bars, everything)

01 zx9r swingarm
86 zx600 rim/tire/brakes(only used these b.c i just bought new tires-$300+- and i got srewed out a zx9r rim/brakes i payed for)

zx600 rear sets

still runin the VT z1 spockets woot!

03 ninja 250r - sold

73 z1 900 - on stage 4!

89 z28

galaxian

Posting Freak

Posts 579
Registered 17-12-2002
Location chicago
Member Is Online

Mood:
posted on 7-10-2005 at 12:00 PM

RollingStock,

how did everything fit? What work did you need to do to the front end and the rear? The more details the better this thread will be for future reference.

1979 kz650 c3

elseed

Posts 360
Registered 7-10-2003
Location Tucson, AZ

posted on 7-10-2005 at 02:21 PM

Galaxian -- re: ZX-7 front end, I KNOW the '89-90 ZX750H stem is a good swap, but I think it's likely the '96 design is dramatically different. That's why buying parts without seeing/measuring them first is such a roll of the dice unless you're a bad ass determined fabricator with significant capabilities.

For the '89-90 ZX7, I had information that it was a good swap. The ZX-7 stem was thinner than stock. The bearing shims are nothing more than "rings" to press into the interior of the standard bearing races of stock tapered bearings. Stupid not to have taken some pictures and recorded better, but I think one was 1mm thick (adds 2mm to stem diameter) and the other was 2mm thick (adds 4mm total) or something like that. I called a bearing shop in town, talked through the catalog, no problem. 1mm thick, OD same as ID of inner bearing race, ID same as OD of stem width.

If you have the parts, best thing is to just start trying to make them fit. For fork adaption, I think it's common to:
1). Press out stem, machine it down to KZ stem specs., press it back in
2). Cut down stem length if too long for KZ.
3). Mate a KZ stem to donor triples (again, requires some machining and/or precision welding).

'75 Z1 streetfighter

galaxian

Posting Freak

Posts 579
Registered 17-12-2002
Location chicago
Member Is Online

Mood:
posted on 7-10-2005 at 02:30 PM

Well my plan was exactly that. I was..am going to press out the step and machine my own stem that is like the KZ one but fits onthe the zx bottom triple.

I just got excited at the prospect of not having to do that. I compared the 1991 stem part number to the 1996 one and they sort of match.

'96 zx7 44037 - 1339
'91 zx7 44037 - 1295

Oh well back to the lathe...

1979 kz650 c3

marko

Posts 32
Registered 20-7-2005
Location ohio, shelby

Mood:
posted on 7-10-2005 at 02:55 PM

Elseed, what is the fork length and the center to center on the forks. I have a z1r that I need to change the front end on. I cant get my wheel between the forks The rotors just hit the forks:mad: Thanks alot ride on Mark:D

elseed

Posts 360
Registered 7-10-2003
Location Tucson, AZ

posted on 7-10-2005 at 09:54 PM

Marko -- got some measures for you here. Rotor bumping sounds like a challenge.

'89-90 ZX7 triples space fork tubes 8 1/16" apart on center. Fork length is 28 7/8" from center of axle to top of tube body measured at cap shoulder (not preload adjuster, etc.). I was told the '90 ZX-11 C fork tubes are just a bit longer, like 1/4" longer, but use all the same hardware.

These are 43mm conventional forks.

'75 Z1 streetfighter

marko

Posts 32
Registered 20-7-2005
Location ohio, shelby

Mood:
posted on 7-10-2005 at 10:45 PM

Thanks elseed those mesurements really helped. Now all I have to do is find a zx7 front end. I really dont need longer forks im a short dude 5'-7":cool:

GONEHAWKN

Postaholic

Posts 1187
Registered 13-4-2003
Location MARYLAND

Mood: GOT SQUIRREL?
posted on 8-10-2005 at 10:04 AM

ok. heres my input. some of you probably read the other post. but, for those that have not here goes: complete '02 ZR7S ront end(forks,triple tree's,wheel, rotors, calipers, everything but the handle bars and controls.) since the stock ZR7S handle bars mount up like our stock Z1/KZ's, and even use a 7/8" handle bar. i just used my stock Z1 stuff here. as for the swap, the only thing i had to to do was buy a taper'd bearing set-up from ALL BALLS RACING, with seals. this allowed the ZR7S parts to bolt right up. the bottom bearing is a dead on fit, but the stock top ZR7S bearing will not work. the bearings almost the same size, but the steering stems on the ZR7S is smaller in diameter than the Z1 stem. this is why i need'd a weird size taper'd bearing. the other thing you will have to do is make a new bearing head cup for the top of the steering neck. again, this is due the the stem size difference. i used a baby food jar type lid. while this may sound funny, it was a dead on fit. all i had to do is drill the appropriate size hole, and paint it black. you would never even know, it's even the same gauge metal. after that, the only other thing you will have to do is this. one of the stock ZR7S steering head nuts(there is 2) has a built in dust seal on it. you will have to take this off(it just pops off). then take the top nut and thread that one on FIRST. then take the one that was on the bottom, and turn it upside down( yes it will thread on like this) and and thead it on. this will take up the slack of the dust seal you took off(it would not fit because, again, of the diameter difference in the steering stems) then just tighten the bottom nut, so that the front end moves with ease from side to side, but has no up and down slop in the tree's. then just tighten down the top nut(it is there for this reason. to keep the bottom one from coming loose). then, put on your top tree. thats the hard stuff!! heck, steering stops even work out right!

Bill

here is a link to the thread i started about this:

kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29097

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by GONEHAWKN]

I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO APPROACH THE EAST....

RollingStock

Posts 142
Registered 11-8-2004
Location bradenton, FL

Mood: bored
posted on 8-10-2005 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by galaxian
RollingStock,

how did everything fit? What work did you need to do to the front end and the rear? The more details the better this thread will be for future reference.

frontend was pretty much a stright swap with a set of all balls racing bearings for the zx600 and a set for the z1..

the swingarm needs to be cut down to fit in the frame.. the frame need to be drill out so the bigger zx9r swingarm bolt will fit or sum kinda of spacers so the stock bolt will work.. im using a 86 zx600 rear rim/brakes fits in the swingarm with all the zx600 hardware, stright swap.. i have the dogbones bolted where the centerstand was. its a hardtail. i havent rode it like this yet so i duno how its going to work out.. u also have to cut sum the frame out b/c the swingarm is alot widther than the stock

im also using 86zx600 rear sets

03 ninja 250r - sold

73 z1 900 - on stage 4!

89 z28

elseed

Posts 360
Registered 7-10-2003
Location Tucson, AZ

posted on 8-10-2005 at 10:38 PM

Gonehawkn -- Do you know the year(s) of your ZX7 set? Important and helpful info. if trying to buy/bid on something long distance.

Funny you talk about the baby food jar lid. I didn't mention that issue, but the dust seal was a problem for me as well. I ended up buying a stock KZ1000 (not Z1 like my bike, as they don't sell anymore) and putting it on there. But it still rattled around a bit, not quite right. I think I used a modified big mother O-ring thingie and possibly a ziptie after that. This might belong over in the "jury rigged" thread somewhere... :D

'75 Z1 streetfighter

GONEHAWKN

Postaholic

Posts 1187
Registered 13-4-2003
Location MARYLAND

Mood: GOT SQUIRREL?
posted on 9-10-2005 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by elseed
Gonehawkn -- Do you know the year(s) of your ZX7 set? Important and helpful info. if trying to buy/bid on something long distance.

important to mention here, is that the ZX7 and the ZR7 are very different, i think, in the front end department. i do believe the the ZX7 might use a USD fork set-up where as the ZR7 uses a more traditional style fork. also, the ZR7 uses a more traditional method of handle bar mounting where as the ZX7 uses clip-ons. that is why i did not go with late model sport bike ZX or GSXR type front-end. i just dont like the looks of the USD forks. i like the more traditional look myself. plus, it was very appealing to know that i would be able to mount up my old handle bars and controls with very little trouble. now, as for the years of the front end. all my stuff came from a '02 ZR7. the parts, when your able to find 'em, usually are much less in cost than the ZX parts.

Post edited by: galaxian, at: 2005/10/10 08:58

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2005 13:06 #423 by schmol
In my conversion, I used '96+ ZX7R front forks/clipons and brakes with a set of '93 ZX7R wheels with a '03 ZX636 swingarm/rear shock and brake setup.

What I did with my stem was, I had the factory ZX7R stem cut flush at the triple and then had the GPZ stem ground out and shaved down to fit into the ZX7R stem. We put thew GPZ stem into a deep freeze and heated the ZX7R piece up right before we pressed the GPZ stem into the new triple. Once in, we drilled a hole and put in a set screw for extra security.

As for the swingarm, I haven't ventured there yet. The ZX636 swing is .25" wider than the stock GPZ swingarm, so I will have to grind off the inside of the frame to be able to fit the 636 swingarm.

I will then have to have the '93 Zx7R rear brake disc shaved to fit into the ZX636 caliper. I will have to drill the GPZ swingarm pivot holes a bit larger to accept the 636 swingarm axle.

As for the single shock, I will have to weld in some bars to be able to mount the shock...

More
10 Oct 2005 20:46 #567 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic once again to those with a suspension conversion
heres a older pic

ill have to hunt down a real cam and get sum close ups

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/06 21:20

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

More
11 Oct 2005 16:39 #796 by marko
schmol I have a 2003 zx6r swingarm on my 1978 z1r. I used my original axle with some bushings.$30.00 at the machine shop. You can get that 1/4" off the right side of the swingarm(look closly) I would not try to drill your holes out on your frame the bushings are a simple solution for the axle. Shock mount was simple too I'll try too get some pics soon.B) Mark

More
11 Oct 2005 22:25 #945 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic once again to those with a suspension conversion
Can you post a pic of the set screw location and the area that you slipped the neck into?

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
12 Oct 2005 06:07 #988 by galaxian
Keep it coming guysB)

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
13 Oct 2005 09:00 #1333 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic once again to those with a suspension conversion
Hey, how about the pics please?

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
19 Oct 2005 12:52 #2800 by marko
I didn't forget the pic's I have been trying like crazy to get these pictures to work right.I dont have a digital camera but my camcorder takes pictures im just not smart enough to use it right:huh: I have someone comming over saturday that can fix me up :cheer:

More
27 Oct 2005 15:18 #4729 by schmol
thanks marko, I await your pictures...

More
06 Mar 2007 12:17 #117787 by jcleach
2005 gsxr 600 swingarm and shock, reinforced frame and added shock bracket and subframe. 5.5 2005 gsxr rear wheel w/180 tire. 2005 gsxr 1000 USD forks, tripples, bars,controls/switches,steering stabilizer, and wheel/brakes. 05 custom rearsets.
The rear was easy, just had to machine bronze bushing w/outer lip ti shim 1/8 on each side w/a 17mm i/d.
fab frame with shock mount. For the front I used a complete take off and bought tapered bearings from all-balls (the gsxr uses the same i/d bearings as the z1)
,fabed a stabilizer mount, and wire the controlls.
It did not hurt to have a complete donor bike.
A local rich kid was rear-ended on a 2200 mile gsxr 1000 and screwed the rear and broke the frame. He managed not to damage the front at all. He pulled the engine and sold me the rest for 500 bones w/ paperwork.
(any one tnterested
in a 05 gsxr frame?..ha ha;)

P.S. Ihad to remove the lower rear part of the frame where the passenger pegs and exhaust mount.

Post edited by: jcleach, at: 2007/03/06 15:22

More
06 Mar 2007 12:45 #117797 by solomrus
wow, this one came up from the murk...

i have data to add:

1977 kz1000 base machine

2005 zx636-r donor parts:

complete front fork assy. pressed out 636 stem, machined bushing to adapt kz stem to 636 stem. uses stock bearings, upper bolts, etc. bolt on. have to grind down the stops on the lower triple for full swing. also using upper clamp, clip-ons, radial master and radial front brakes with the petal rotors.

complete rear assy. swingarm assy, suspension, brakes, etc. had the 636 swingarm pivot bolt bored out to use the stock kz bolt with it as a bushing. narrowed the frame end about 5mm at the pivot end to fit into the kz frame. fabbing lower pivot pickup, and upper shock mount as we speak.

anticipating using a 3/8" offset front 530 sprocket, and machining down the rear sprocket carrier to match that chainline. will know if this works out for sure in a couple weeks.

pics are in the project section, search for yet another zed... or by user solomrus.

links to other pics there as well.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four