Front caliper rebuild easy ?

• jtroop
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 82 650 CSR H2
More
02 Jun 2009 19:39 #295899 by jtroop
Front caliper rebuild easy ? was created by jtroop
Clymer manual says take it to a dealer for rebuild. I've never done one. Is it easy ? Are they just covering themselves for safety reasons ?

82 650 CSR H2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2009 20:56 #295921 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Front caliper rebuild easy ?
My bike is the 81 650-CSR & is virtually identical to yours.
The front brake is very doable. It was the first thing I refurbished - I'm not a mechanical genious but I'm no dumb-ox either. It's been a while, but I kinda recall that installing the dust seal was tricky. When reassembling everthing, your hands, the parts & work area must be spotlessly clean. Absolutely no grit.

An air compressor is handy for removing the caliper piston - be careful not to crush a finger. After disassembly, I cleaned mine thoroughly, then wet sanded it to prep it for painting. The stock paint is tough, so I only had to hit the pealing areas vigorously. After sanding, I blew it dry w compressed air. The auto parts store has brake caliper paint. After the paint cured, I baked the caliper in a low temp oven to harden it further, although it still isn't brake fluid proof.

More
02 Jun 2009 23:21 #295938 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Front caliper rebuild easy ?
When I rebuild them I always take a dremmel with a wire wheel to the groove that the seals sits in. There is a lot of gunk that builds up in there.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
03 Jun 2009 07:02 #295970 by mumbles
Replied by mumbles on topic Front caliper rebuild easy ?
Check this post out. It was very helpful to me when I rebiult the brake caliper. I had never done it before.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=293079#294119

2001 KZ1000 Police
1998 Vulcan 800

Houston, Tx

More
03 Jun 2009 23:34 #296222 by Wallybanger
Replied by Wallybanger on topic Front caliper rebuild easy ?
Very easy to rebuild. I did mine a few months ago. Get a replacement seal kit and pop your piston our with an air compressor.