Tire Balancing Dyna Beads?

• kawasakibikefan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Riding is a passion most do not understand.
More
28 May 2009 10:24 #294637 by kawasakibikefan
Tire Balancing Dyna Beads? was created by kawasakibikefan
Has anyone seen, heard, or used Dyna Beads for a motorcycle? Their website is www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html . It seems very simple to use and I might just take a chance. If you have used them please tell me if they actually did work.

I just bought some Spitfires for my 75 Z1B and plan to install them soon. The less work I have to do for balancing the better in my opinion.

'75 Z1B
'95 KLR250

My Future Buying List:
-Kawasaki KLX450R
-Yamaha R1
-Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2009 12:32 #294654 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tire Balancing Dyna Beads?
I've never used them, but there are quite a few guys on the GL1800 Goldwing forums that swear by them. Quite a few "tires don't cup" after adding Dyna Beads. That being said, tires don't cup from imbalance, they cup from block design aggravated by being on a heavy vehical and not checking air pressure often enough. So my thoughts personally is they are not going to improve balance or tire wear in any way. I never balance motorcycle tires and haven't yet in 40 yrs and have had zero problems, so don't see the need.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
28 May 2009 13:24 - 28 May 2009 13:32 #294663 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Tire Balancing Dyna Beads?
I agree with Ron. I've never used them, even though considered them for my car. In general motorcyles don't present the balancing problems that cars do. They don't require the expensive dynamic balancing machines that cars tires do either.. Anybody can, with inexpensive tools, balance a motorcycle tire at home, if needed.

From what I heard the beads work well enough, but also heard, that if you have to plug your tire to fix a flat, then the beads will be interfered with by the plug inside.
Last edit: 28 May 2009 13:32 by hugo.

More
28 May 2009 18:50 #294732 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire Balancing Dyna Beads?
I don't buy into this one. If I stick a bunch of BB's in my tube (or tire if tubeless) according to Isaac Newton they will settle to the bottom of the tire everytime I stop or slow beyond a given speed. As I accelerate, I suppose it's just possible that they will eventually evenly disburse themselves to just the right spots to balance the tire and then stop there, but why would they? Seems to me they would just roll around inside the tire at random rather than mysteriously finding the light side of the tire and balancing it with the heavy side. But even if they were able to roll to the right spots and stop, everytime I hit the brakes, stop, or accelerate they will move around more or roll to the bottom of the tire when I stop. It seems like they would actually create an imbalance every time you slowed, stopped, or started from a stop. Having said all that, I might be tempted to pour a tablespoon of snake-oil in the tire to see if that might work. ;) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 May 2009 19:03 #294737 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Tire Balancing Dyna Beads?

Sky Wanderer says "Beads are groovy!".
I guess beads are less messy than Slime. Don't want to change a tire that has been slimed!! Actually I'll pass on both. Static balance.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• kawasakibikefan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Riding is a passion most do not understand.
More
29 May 2009 14:50 #294859 by kawasakibikefan
Replied by kawasakibikefan on topic Tire Balancing Dyna Beads?
Static balancing is what I normally do. It works so why try to improve it I guess. Well my tires will be going on soon. Thanks for your opinions.

'75 Z1B
'95 KLR250

My Future Buying List:
-Kawasaki KLX450R
-Yamaha R1
-Suzuki DR-Z400SM