rear caliper question?????

More
19 May 2009 17:49 - 19 May 2009 17:50 #292746 by keith1
rear caliper question????? was created by keith1
i m taking bike in for a state inspection tommorow and i was looking it over and i noticed that when i engage rear lever,caliper moves outboard about a millimeter or two....is this normal and something i never noticed before?
i have developed a squeal at times also...are the two symptoms indicative of a stuck piston?....just wondering...thanks......keith
Last edit: 19 May 2009 17:50 by keith1. Reason: crappy typer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 17:56 #292750 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic rear caliper question?????
It's normal for calipers to move as the brake disc wears.

The squeal may be caused by buildup of brake dust/disc material. Sometimes the pads can be lightly sanded to reduce squeal. Auto parts stores sell a disc brake quiet you apply to the back side of the brake pads to deaden the vibration during braking.I'd check the rear caliper for operation and clean the system.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 May 2009 18:00 #292752 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic rear caliper question?????
MFolks wrote:

It's normal for calipers to move as the brake disc wears.

The squeal may be caused by buildup of brake dust/disc material. Sometimes the pads can be lightly sanded to reduce squeal. Auto parts stores sell a disc brake quiet you apply to the back side of the brake pads to deaden the vibration during braking.I'd check the rear caliper for operation and clean the system.

thanks....pads have about 500 miles on them and i didnt put any anti squeal on the back....not a biggee....just wondering about the movement.....

More
19 May 2009 18:19 #292761 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic rear caliper question?????
The calipers do move, as they are floating on the mounting bolts.
The piston and pads position limit the amount of movement.
When rebuilding and cleaning the calipers, then reinstalling them with the piston and pad moved almost all the way in, the caliper has tons of movement until you pump up the system and the piston and pad move out.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
19 May 2009 18:50 #292770 by gane
Replied by gane on topic rear caliper question?????
Keith, my front calipers have single pistons, and the calipers do indead float to compensate for inner pad wear, tho discernable motion is minute. my rear caliper (kz1000 A1) however is solid mount to it's carrior and has pistons on both inside and out, which receive same pressure from master. I believe any motion there would be from a frozen piston, or a pad incorrectly located. causing the carrior to deflect. (if your's is same) have a look and see If you agree. Luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
20 May 2009 17:49 #292965 by keith1
gane wrote:

Keith, my front calipers have single pistons, and the calipers do indead float to compensate for inner pad wear, tho discernable motion is minute. my rear caliper (kz1000 A1) however is solid mount to it's carrior and has pistons on both inside and out, which receive same pressure from master. I believe any motion there would be from a frozen piston, or a pad incorrectly located. causing the carrior to deflect. (if your's is same) have a look and see If you agree. Luck G

i m thinking due to the fact the rears are double piston and solid mount, i should nt see any discernable movement....i understand movement with a single piston.....i ll keep an eye on it and probably get a rebuild kit for back caliper.....thanks everyone.....

More
20 May 2009 19:28 #292994 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic rear caliper question?????
I didn't relize the '78 kz1000's came with two piston calipers. I thought they were the same single piston calipers as either the '78 or '79 KZ650s.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
20 May 2009 20:01 #293001 by keith1
rstnick wrote:

I didn't relize the '78 kz1000's came with two piston calipers. I thought they were the same single piston calipers as either the '78 or '79 KZ650s.

not a biggee....all part of the learning curve....thanks for the input......B)

More
24 May 2009 18:02 #293755 by keith1
rstnick wrote:

upon further investigation they are single piston...
should i hear light dragging when wheeling the bike around?..can these be fixed?...can the piston be cleaned up for smoother action?....thanks...keith...