Master link issue

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
19 May 2009 08:31 #292622 by riverroad
Master link issue was created by riverroad
I was cleaning and lubing my chain the other day and noticed the clip for my master link was missing. I do occasionally let her rip up well over 100mph, so that's not good.
I did find a #30 master link at the local Farm and home store and used the clip from it, but it doesn't fit as well as the correct one. Just temporary anyway.
So I was thinking about investing in some chain tools, and doing it up right with the swaged pins.
Can anybody advise me on what chain tools give me the most bang for my buck?

Also, I saw on Ebay, a "screw type" master link. Apparently the ends of the pins are threaded and you screw these little nuts onto them. Anybody ever try anything like that?

Mines a Regina 530 oring chain BTW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
19 May 2009 09:10 - 19 May 2009 09:10 #292631 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Master link issue
Well, it's your life. But if I were you, there is no way that I would ride that bike with an ill-fitting master-link clip. NO FRICKIN' WAY.

It is good that you are considering getting the tool to "peen" the posts to make the link permanent. That is the best way to go. Personally, I've never done that, so I can't recommend the best tool for the job.

I still use a master link on my chain. But several years ago, I had a similar problem as you described when I found that the clip had come off. Fortunately, the chain didn't come apart while I was riding it. I immediately went to a local dealer and bought a replacement link. And now I frequently check my chain to make sure the clip is still in place.

West Linn, OR
Last edit: 19 May 2009 09:10 by Skyman.

More
19 May 2009 09:34 #292640 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Master link issue
riverroad wrote:

... Regina 530 oring chain BTW

If not already done, would check with Z1E for a new masterlink. Might have either style.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
19 May 2009 09:46 #292648 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic Master link issue
I prefer the riveted master link, so as not to worry about a weak spot in the chain. I have the RK Chain Cutter and Press Fit Rivet Tool, works great.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA
Attachments:

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
19 May 2009 10:05 #292654 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Master link issue
Thanks guys.

Skyman, I know you're right, and it is of some concern, but the plate is actually pressed on, and the clip is there just as a last chance feel good measure. And the clip I put on there does fit quite well, but it leaves a about a .010" gap between itself and the link plate. I dunno, maybe I pressed the plate on the pins too far? Been a couple trouble free years since I installed it. Anyway, the clip I bought from the Farm and Home fits the grooves just as well as the one that fell off of it. The bag came with three master links and clips for $3.50, but I'm not using the link. Just the clip. No telling how long I've been riding around tearing up the highways with the clip missing.

Anyway, I remembered I kept the other master link that came with the chain (I thought it was a spare), but when I looked at it, I realized it's the swage type and doesn't have a clip.
Plus, I just remembered somebody with some chain tools!

More
19 May 2009 11:00 #292673 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Master link issue
I've never used any of the tools either. If your clip is loose you can always clean the chain and put a little dab of RTV or something to hold it in place. Like the other guys say, best to buy a new link, but I would assume you would need the Regina link as I don't think all chains are exactly the same.
The clip is just there for an added safty feature kind of along the lines of the cotter pin in the rear axle. The chain is pressed together and won't come apart, but if you know it's not there, it's an uneasy feeling to continue riding.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 May 2009 13:11 #292695 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Master link issue
a tip i learned from some roadrace buddies was to take safety wire and make two wraps just around the plate and clip(in the center of the plate naturally) and then twist together and fold back.so now you have the safety wire around the plate and clip and there is just enough gap that the sprocket won't clip the wire(once you look at it you will see what i mean ;-})and the clip can't separate to come over the pins.so you have now captured it(the clip) and can forget about it coming off until you remove the safety wire. hth someone.

leon holmes

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
20 May 2009 05:34 #292839 by riverroad
Man them chain tools are expensive!
Ron, I was thinking about gluing the clip on with some JB Weld, but I had also toyed with the idea of the safety wire method Leon suggested. I just wasn't sure the wire wouldn't rub on my sprockets. Since I am an aircraft mechanic and already have all different sizes of inconel and stainless wire, I'm going to try that method. I'm going to go with .020" stainless. Thin but very very strong.
Thanks Leon!

More
20 May 2009 06:25 #292847 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Master link issue
happy to help riverroad.
when i was told about the method i was like wow:ohmy: ,"why didn't i think of that".

leon holmes

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
20 May 2009 16:10 #292944 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Master link issue
riverroad wrote:

I was cleaning and lubing my chain the other day and noticed the clip for my master link was missing. I do occasionally let her rip up well over 100mph, so that's not good.

But it does prove your guardian angel can fly at over 100 mph......:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 May 2009 16:13 #292947 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Master link issue
riverroad wrote:

Thanks guys.

Skyman, I know you're right, and it is of some concern, but the plate is actually pressed on, and the clip is there just as a last chance feel good measure. And the clip I put on there does fit quite well, but it leaves a about a .010" gap between itself and the link plate. I dunno, maybe I pressed the plate on the pins too far?

Sounds like it's the wrong link for the chain. They should fit dead tight. On mine, you have to REALLY squeeze the outer link down on the posts and the clip just barely can be forced in. It fits in very tight.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
21 May 2009 04:47 #293035 by riverroad
You're exactly right bountyhunter. Looked at it last night, and determined the clip I got from the Farm and Home is thinner than the clip that came with it. It clipped in ok, has the correct pin spacing, but like I said, wobbles a little in the pin grooves, and leaves a little gap. Picking up a new master tonight.
And yeah, my gaurdian angel does keep an eye on me. Years ago I was riding my old Honda 750 as fast as it would go, about 115 or so, you know, front end wobble and all that good stuff we grew up with. Pulled into the mall I was going to, flipped the stand down, cut the ignition and fuel valve, then suddenly the front tire just let go. No slow 'ssssssss'. Just a sudden 'ffwahh'. If it would've gave out just half a minute earlier, Ida been toast. :S