Check those chains!

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
07 Mar 2006 19:26 #29226 by savedrider
Check those chains! was created by savedrider
I was staring at my bike today and just happened to kick the chain. Man was it loose! It caught me off guard because I had adjusted it not too long ago. I'm really surprised it stretched as much as it did. Are the old 630 chains known for this?

I was at work when I noticed so I had to scrap together the tools and adjust it. It was at the point of being unsafe to ride and I would not have felt comfortable riding home that way.

Just a reminder to keep an eye on your chain slack.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2006 21:29 #29268 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Check those chains!
I've told my story of using PJ1 chain lube on a 5000 mile ride one time where I had to pull the adjuster back aprox 1 mark on the swingarm each 500 miles. Of course "just a coincedence", not the lube. Funny this chain went bad at about the 10,000 mile mark where I normally get 50,000 miles out of a chain. Not the lube though, :( If you're using similar to PJ1, which is *most of the crap out there*, the stuff that sprays on real light but hardens up like paint, the chain is not lubed and wear will be fast.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
07 Mar 2006 22:09 #29279 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Check those chains!
If you don't use the spray chain lube, what do you use to get 50k miles out of a chain? I use x-ring 530 chains and just spray the outside to keep it from rusting.
I assume the chain that wore out so fast was a non o-ring chain?

KD9JUR

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
08 Mar 2006 00:25 #29291 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Check those chains!
I've been using Maxima Chain Wax. Mostly because it's what I have in the shop (originally purchased for dirtbike chains).

More
08 Mar 2006 06:46 #29319 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Check those chains!
I always use oring chains. The chain I had trouble with PJ1 was the original chain on a 1982 GPZ1100, had no wear at the 5000 mile mark, then I left to ride one of my long rides. All was going great until my lube fell off the back of my motorcycle onto I-80, so I got the PJ1 at the next town and the chain went to crap from there. The lube I use is called "BG White Lightning". I doubt it's still available as I haven't seen it in a long time, but I stocked up and have enough to last me the rest of my riding days. Even my other high mileage riding buddies have trouble believing how far my chains last. My KZ650 I currently ride has 54,000 on the original Kaw chain.
steell wrote:

If you don't use the spray chain lube, what do you use to get 50k miles out of a chain? I use x-ring 530 chains and just spray the outside to keep it from rusting.
I assume the chain that wore out so fast was a non o-ring chain?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Mar 2006 09:07 #29349 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Check those chains!
Wow, 54k on an original Kaw chain! That is indeed incredible, I don't believe I have ever heard of one lasting much over 20K (and even that was unusual), that must be some really good stuff you use.

KD9JUR

More
08 Mar 2006 17:30 #29474 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Check those chains!
is this the white lightening?
63.239.115.228/nondealer/product.phtml?p=7786

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
08 Mar 2006 18:45 #29497 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Check those chains!
btchalice wrote:

is this the white lightening?
63.239.115.228/nondealer/product.phtml?p=7786

I have some of that stuff, but it's not in aerosol form. It's just a bottle of liquid that you shake up and squirt on. I haven't used it on moto chains. I bought it a long time ago for another hobby. I think the only trouble with that stuff is that to work probably the chain has to be squeaky clean first. For those without master link clips we can't pull the chain to wash in solvent.

More
09 Mar 2006 13:50 #29643 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Check those chains!
I've been using PJ1 (because it was all they had). I have to say I have my doubts about it as well. I don't have any evidence on wear yet, but it just seemed too runny and seemed to disappear quickly.

I probably won't finish out the can and will look for something else (o-ring compatible).