Z1 Centerstand spring

More
07 Mar 2006 18:19 #29187 by djfisher22
Z1 Centerstand spring was created by djfisher22
Any suggestions for a relatively easy way to put the spring on my centerstand?Had it and the kickstand powdercoated and now this thing is a bitch to install.Been trying with an automotive brake spring tool and got nothing but busted knuckles so far.Anybody got an easier way or do I keep beating myself up?Thanks,
DJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2006 09:34 #29358 by oldkaw79
Replied by oldkaw79 on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
Try to put the stand on the bike and put it up on the center stand and then get a pair of vise grips and put the spring on that way. It is still a pain but alittle easier, becasue you can get your hands in there easier.

More
08 Mar 2006 10:20 #29363 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
I had to put a spring on and this is how I did it:

1. Mount the center stand.
2. Put the bike up on the stand.
3. Attach the spring on the bike frame.
4. Put a screw driver on the spring 'hook' and use it to leverage the spring until you get it on the centerstand hole.
5. Once the end of the spring is in the hole, pull out the screw driver.

If I remember right, the spring is actually in less tension when the bike is on the center stand, so this, along with more room to work, might make it easier.

I really didn't try to put on the spring before I mounted the center stand, but that might work too. It seemed to me that this would make mounting it more difficult.;)

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
08 Mar 2006 11:32 #29375 by oldcuda68
Replied by oldcuda68 on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
I did mine with the stand on the bike and the bike on the stand. Then I had my 21 year old strong man use the vise grips to put the spring in place. Piece of cake!!!:P

Mark

1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

More
08 Mar 2006 11:54 #29381 by djfisher22
Replied by djfisher22 on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
oldcuda68 wrote:

I did mine with the stand on the bike and the bike on the stand. Then I had my 21 year old strong man use the vise grips to put the spring in place. Piece of cake!!!:P

Mark

There's an idea.My daughters' 18 yr. old boyfriend is coming over for dinner.I'll tell him to bring work clothes.:evil:

More
08 Mar 2006 11:56 #29382 by oldcuda68
Replied by oldcuda68 on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
There you go!! My son is a weight lifter for fun, but man is he strong!! Glad of that.
Good luck.
Mark

1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

More
08 Mar 2006 13:57 #29415 by bob_z1
Replied by bob_z1 on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
put one end of the spring in a vise... then get a handful of pennies, put a penny between each coil of the spring making it longer as you go. then put the spring on the bike, and when you put the stand down you can then take the pennies out.

`

Post edited by: bob_z1, at: 2006/03/08 16:59

More
08 Mar 2006 14:05 #29417 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
Dang, that's good thinking. Love it.

More
08 Mar 2006 14:50 #29435 by djfisher22
Replied by djfisher22 on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
bob_z1 wrote:

put one end of the spring in a vise... then get a handful of pennies, put a penny between each coil of the spring making it longer as you go. then put the spring on the bike, and when you put the stand down you can then take the pennies out.

`<br><br>Post edited by: bob_z1, at: 2006/03/08 16:59

I just got that advise on another board and I was just about to paste it here.Worked great with my brake spring tool.

Got the spring on today with the modified penny method.I put the spring in my vise,bent it back with vise grips and got about 5 or 6 pennies in the one side.Turned it and did the same to the other so it was straight again.Had the stand down,hooked it on the frame and using my brake spring tool I slid it right onto the hook on the stand.The pennies lengthened it just enough to make the diff.That trick gets the rocket scientist award this month.I like it.Thanks,
DJ

Post edited by: djfisher22, at: 2006/03/08 18:08

More
07 Oct 2006 19:06 #82544 by Wes_R
Replied by Wes_R on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
I've just got to say that you guys are awesome!

I put the bike on the center stand, stuck pennies in the old spring, took it off the stand and the spring was off. Put about 10 pennies on a side of the new spring and it went on with room to spare. Put the bike on the center stand and pulled out the pennies.

Best 20 cents I've ever used! And here I'm thinking of skinned knuckles, welding hooks on a c-clamp and maybe a come along. LOL

82 KZ-1000 CSR

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2006 20:04 #82557 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
damn someone beat me to it!:P

More
07 Oct 2006 20:26 #82566 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Z1 Centerstand spring
wireman wrote:

damn someone beat me to it!:P

Me too, only I used the break spring tool trick with no pennies...I like it though and will try it next time. Thanks gentlemen! :)