Lowering Front End on Kz650

More
07 Mar 2006 17:19 #29159 by reborn650
Lowering Front End on Kz650 was created by reborn650
Hey Gang-I'm considering slightly dropping the front end on my '77 650-maybe an inch or 1.5" Any opinions and suggestions on this mod? I would like to hear from members who have tried this and their comments on handling and performance changes.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2006 18:43 #29201 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Lowering Front End on Kz650
lower the rear of your bike as much as you can then lower the front of bike to level it.if you lower just the front you will take rake out of frontend and have no high speed stability.;) goodluck,happy lowering!

More
07 Mar 2006 20:44 #29251 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Lowering Front End on Kz650
I put some 76 KH500 forks on mine (SR650) lowered it two+ inches and it also shortened the wheelbase. my question would be if I get hi speed instability coud I correct it with a steering damper, I have an H2 unit on the shelf

More
07 Mar 2006 20:52 #29257 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Lowering Front End on Kz650
I just lowered my front end about 1/2 an inch. That's all the Clubman Bars will let me. I haven't done anything to the back end. I'll have to let you know how she handles in a few weeks or more as, you must know, we still have a bit of snow up here.

Others that have done it like it.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
07 Mar 2006 21:35 #29271 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Lowering Front End on Kz650
Ya Rob-I hear ya man! Still a ton of snow on the ground up here in the Great White North but the warm weather is coming over the next 2 days. I was hoping to get my playground's Italian winter sports car (my Zamboni ice resurfacer) out at the rink for one more set of laps. Looks like my Zamboni season is pooched along with the ice.

On the topic of the high speed stability issue, I am more concerned about getting a good launch off the lights (including my plans to run the 1/8 drags this year,) thus my inquiry about lowering the front end. I rarely even take my bike on the highway as it is built more for rippin' around town. Top speed spurts used to be my bag but they don't spin my crank anymore as I have seen too many high speed bike wrecks caused by tank slappers or over-confident bikers slapping into oncoming 18 wheel tankers.

Years ago I shook off the need for high speed when I was lucky enough to snag a media ride with the Canadian military's Snowbirds precision flying team. After doing 4G's positive and 3G's negative loops @ 500 mph along with 8 other jets, I decided that nothing else would come close for sheer speed thrills.

Call me a little older and wiser now but I get my adrenaline rush now from banging the bike through the gears, light to light or just lazily cruising 'round town. I figure dropping the front end a little will give the bike a little more agressive stance and a better weight transfer when I launch hard.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2006 21:38 #29274 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic Lowering Front End on Kz650
Wouldn't lowering the front end put more weight on the front, removing weight from the rear thus reducing traction on the rear wheel when you need it while launching? I would think that lowering it all would be the most effective way... it's like a car... 50/50 weight balance is optimal.