79 KZ1000 MKII chain drive help please!!!

More
15 May 2009 18:25 #291514 by fullbore
Took off front sprocket cover and noticed the toothed washer was broke and it seemed their was side to side play on the front sprocket?

I know I need a new toothed washer but their was also another washer that seemed to be a spacer to flush up the sprocket so the nut will tighten on the sprocket...Is there supposed to be play in the front sprocket?

Does this additional washer go behind the sprocket or in front and underneath the toothed washer?

I have a 15 tooth front and a 35 tooth rear and a 630 chain all of which I beleive to be factory?

Is it time for a 530 conversion and what recommendations do you all have on sprocket sizes?

Thanks in advance...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2009 19:36 #291537 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 79 KZ1000 MKII chain drive help please!!!
fullbore wrote:

Took off front sprocket cover and noticed the toothed washer was broke and it seemed their was side to side play on the front sprocket?

I know I need a new toothed washer but their was also another washer that seemed to be a spacer to flush up the sprocket so the nut will tighten on the sprocket...Is there supposed to be play in the front sprocket?

Does this additional washer go behind the sprocket or in front and underneath the toothed washer?

I have a 15 tooth front and a 35 tooth rear and a 630 chain all of which I beleive to be factory?

Is it time for a 530 conversion and what recommendations do you all have on sprocket sizes?

Thanks in advance...

Should be no play in sprocket fitment.
Oem sprocket had flat side and shoulder side.
Flat side faces out. Shoulder side faces in. Shoulder affords chain clearance and alignment with rear sprocket.
Some aftermarket sprockets without the shoulder require a washer/spacer to simulate the shoulder.
15/35 is oem, and 630 is oem.
530 is overrated in my book (like the stock macho 630 look and am unconcerned and unimpressed with the diminimus weight difference).
Have tried 14 and 16 tooth countershaft sprockets, and much prefer the stock 15 tooth. 14 gave faster acceleration but buzzy highway cruise. And 16 gave relaxed highway rpm, but noticeably less acceleration from stop or crawl speed. It's a matter of personal preference. No significant difference in mpg or attainable top speed.

Countershaft sprockets are inexpensive and easy to change, usually needing only a chain slack adjustment without requiring a longer or shorter chain. So give 'em all three a try and see what suits ya best!

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.