Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

random kickstart lever question 19 Oct 2005 22:25 #2911

• tanktime
  • tanktime's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum, but i wasn't sure where to put it. here's my question. I'm in the process of finishing a '78 kz650 bobber/chopper project and I'm trying to put the finishing touches on it. I want to put a kickstart lever on with the bike pedal on the end to put your foot on, but the stock lever is all one piece so I can't just take to top piece off and replace it with the pedal. so, what i was wondering is if there are any other bikes(triumph or honda for example) whose kickstart lever would work on the kz(or if there is an aftermarket kz kickstart lever that comes in two pieces which would allow me to do the same thing), that would allow me to remove to top part of the lever. I know it seems like a silly question but i would love to get a kickstart lever with a bike pedal on this bike. thanks for any help you all are able to give.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

random kickstart lever question 20 Oct 2005 18:00 #3082

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I cant give a direct answer but how are your machining skills (Im assuming good if you are doing a chop/bob to your bike) Anyway would it be possible to cut the peg part off your curent lever, flatten it out and the tap it for a bicycle pedal? I think bike pedals are threaded backwards so youd need a backwards tap though.

Maybe I am just full of hot air though, I know I couldnt do it myself. Anything more than aluminum or nuts and bolts is beyond me

random kickstart lever question 22 Oct 2005 12:31 #3450

• kzkoyote
  • User
bike pedals come with both left and right hand threads, so your goal is to find the right thread :) also, lok at platform size. I'll go take a look at mine in a bit and see if it looks like you can tap is for a bike pedal (since I have a few dozen lying around) or if you are better off machining down the pedal itself

Christof
davis, ca
not yet running 1977 kz400

random kickstart lever question 22 Oct 2005 19:28 #3510

• kzkoyote
  • User
Okay, looking at mine, what I'd do is find an old cotter pinned bicycle crank arm (since it is almost certainly going to be steel) and a torch and heat and bend as needed, then either get the end machines to fit the splines on the kickstart attachment point or cut and weld the two bits together. No real easy answer there :)

random kickstart lever question 23 Oct 2005 03:22 #3562

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
You could try and cut the lever part (where you put your foot) off, heat it and pound it so it has a good flat spot. Drill it out and if you have to tap it from the inside.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

random kickstart lever question 23 Oct 2005 09:19 #3602

• tanktime
  • tanktime's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
thanks everybody for all of you suggestions. I think I might try and cut the part where i put my foot on and just flatten the end of the lever and bolt the pedal on there one way or another. Thanks again for the responses.

• Page: