KZ900 trailer hitch pics ideas needed PLEASE.

More
09 May 2009 18:38 #289520 by vwjohn
Hello everyone, John Foerg here. I developed severe heart troubles 5 years ago and stopped rideing due to depression and according to the Doc for my heart to give out if I didn't get a transplant. Well after my bike sat outside in the weather all this time and me still kicking, I have decided to do a frame up and take a trip in the early fall. Now, here is where I need LOTS of help. To make the trip I must camp out ( limited funds ) so I need to see if anyone has any pictures, ideas, whatever- to build as trailer hitch for this 1976 KZ900 ( not ltd ). ANY IDEAS OR PICS PLEASE ! Thanks from the new kid on the block. yea right- kid = 60 years old LOL:woohoo: email- jfoerg@hotmail.com or vwjohn2002@yahoo.com

the impossiable things just take a little longer to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2009 19:39 #289582 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ900 trailer hitch pics ideas needed PLEASE.
id check on a goldwing or connie site to get an idea how they do it,modify to fit your needs of course. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 May 2009 19:45 #289583 by PLUMMEN
motorcycle hitch usa.com

More
09 May 2009 19:52 - 09 May 2009 21:12 #289584 by vwjohn
thank you. maybe I can find a pic and build one. $300 is enough gas to get to Florida and back. LOL like I said money is going to be super tight. heck I may have to carry a chicken in the trailer just to have eggs to cook.:laugh:

Last edit: 09 May 2009 21:12 by vwjohn.

More
09 May 2009 19:57 #289585 by PLUMMEN
when i googled that there was a how to link listed also. B)

More
09 May 2009 21:31 - 09 May 2009 21:42 #289682 by PLUMMEN
yeah im a cheap bastard also and i love building stuff,but too much liability in something like that project for me. :(

Last edit: 09 May 2009 21:42 by PLUMMEN.

More
09 May 2009 21:57 - 09 May 2009 22:51 #289693 by KZPens
Here is some pics of somone building a trailer hitch picasaweb.google.com/arch01com/VTXMotorcycleTrailerHitch# . However I don't know if the frame on a KZ900 is up to it for this design, I'm bar far no expert, just being concerned for you safety :) . I suppose you considered bags and a luggage rack? You could resell them when you get back...
Last edit: 09 May 2009 22:51 by KZPens.

More
10 May 2009 22:16 #290109 by vwjohn
Thanks Everyone for the imput. I already have a luggage rack with trunk and soft bags but this trip that is planned will be about 2400 miles and take 2 to 3 weeks I am thinking. Since we want to carry camping gear a hitch and trailer will be a must have. The clutch plates will be relined by a friend that relines clutches for the likes of bigfoot and the material DON'T slip. I had slipping trouble on an H2 and this material STOPPED the problem (kevlar). Now to put double front disc and start looking for high matallic rear shoes and front pads. I think I have about figured out some good pulling points where I can use some oversized metal as supports for the hitch. Better safe than sorry from useing to light of materials. Thanks John

More
12 May 2009 06:45 #290491 by vwjohn
now I just gotta find the rear BALL PLATE for an early Goldwing to work off of.

More
12 May 2009 07:46 #290504 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ900 trailer hitch pics ideas needed PLEASE.
I have built a couple a few years back, one went on a Voyger, the other on a susuki.
you will need to find 2 points on the frame that are solid to attach it to, and the plate was made out of 1/4 inch steel,weleded and gussets added under it, the wrap around to the frame was made out of 3/4 inch tubing with cross bracing between them, slao you should add provisions for safty chains too, a lot of states require them.

you may also look in some bone yards and pick one up that you can modify to fit your bike

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob