master cylinder/reservoir

• cannondalemtb
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2009 23:43 #287742 by cannondalemtb
master cylinder/reservoir was created by cannondalemtb
New member with an 83 kz550 ltd. I just recently switched the bars over from the ape hangers to drag bars. My problem now is that the master cylinder/reservoir won't fit since it is HUGE and is mounted at an angle due to the mount for the ape hangers. I have been looking for another master cylinder, but I am not sure of what really would work. Any idea what is out there that is smaller than the original? Does it have to have the brake light integration? Is there any other way to run it? Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2009 00:09 - 04 May 2009 00:09 #287744 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic master cylinder/reservoir
cannondalemtb wrote:

New member with an 83 kz550 ltd. I just recently switched the bars over from the ape hangers to drag bars. My problem now is that the master cylinder/reservoir won't fit since it is HUGE and is mounted at an angle due to the mount for the ape hangers. I have been looking for another master cylinder, but I am not sure of what really would work. Any idea what is out there that is smaller than the original? Does it have to have the brake light integration? Is there any other way to run it? Thanks in advance!

Hello, cannondalemtb, and WELCOME to KZR! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

Check out the banjo bolt brake light switch as shown by OMR in this earlier thread.
Click > Banjo Bolt Switch

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 May 2009 00:09 by Patton.

• cannondalemtb
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2009 00:36 #287745 by cannondalemtb
Replied by cannondalemtb on topic master cylinder/reservoir
Thanks for the reply. I will use something like that if I need to. Do you think something like this will work?
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Kawasaki-Ni...ksid=p4506.m20.l1116
Could I just use the wire attachment at the bottom for the brake light switch?

More
04 May 2009 10:26 #287818 by Patton
cannondalemtb wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I will use something like that if I need to. Do you think something like this will work?
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Kawasaki-Ni...ksid=p4506.m20.l1116
Could I just use the wire attachment at the bottom for the brake light switch?

When large four Kaws went from single to dual front discs, the front master cylinder was enlarged from 14mm (1/2") to 5/8" to better accomodate the dual discs.

Problems have been reported by those converting from single to dual disc where continuing with the same 14mm m/c. The smaller m/c with the dual discs produced an overly sensitive front brake that locked up the front wheel in an emergency stop and caused loss of control and dumped bike.

Accordingly, the best advice imo is to replace the smaller 14mm m/c with the larger 5/8" m/c when converting from oem single disc to dual front discs.

The ebay m/c from 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 says 1/2 bore, which I suspect means 1/2" (or 14mm), and I believe the EX250 has a single front disc brake (but might be wrong).

If the ebay m/c is in fact a 1/2" bore designed for a single disc, I would advise against using it with dual disc.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• cannondalemtb
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2009 12:05 #287830 by cannondalemtb
I do not have a dual disc. So would this be acceptable?

More
04 May 2009 12:55 #287843 by Patton
cannondalemtb wrote:

Yes, it would imo be acceptable. ;)

It's a handsome unit that will hopefully bolt right on. And the brake light switch should be easy enough to adapt for the bike's wiring.

Thanks for confirming the 1983 KZ550 LTD has a single front disc. :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• cannondalemtb
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2009 19:34 #288008 by cannondalemtb
Patton wrote:

cannondalemtb wrote:

Yes, it would imo be acceptable. ;)

It's a handsome unit that will hopefully bolt right on. And the brake light switch should be easy enough to adapt for the bike's wiring.

Thanks for confirming the 1983 KZ550 LTD has a single front disc. :cheer:

I think I am going to go ahead and order that. I will post an update when I get it. Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!