Amco luggage/backrest mounting help needed

More
27 Apr 2009 11:30 #285704 by kawapsycho
Amco luggage/backrest mounting help needed was created by kawapsycho
Hi all,
I have an 80 KZ750 twin and I purchased an Amco backrest/luggage rack for on ebay. I see where it mounts to the shocks at the front of it and where it lines up with the turnsignal stems. I've had to purchase replacement rear turnsignals (because the PO cut the stems short). My question is how does the rack mount to the turnsignal stems and still allow for the turnsignal to mount? Are the end of the stems threaded? Anyone here know off hand? I'd really appreciate some insight!

Thanks all!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2009 13:23 #285728 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Amco luggage/backrest mounting help needed
I wouldn't think that the turn signal stems should be used to mount the rack. Usually, the rack should be bolted to the frame. Sometimes the turn signals have to be relocated and/or a different type installed.

More
27 Apr 2009 14:21 - 27 Apr 2009 14:25 #285750 by kawapsycho
Replied by kawapsycho on topic Amco luggage/backrest mounting help needed
[img size=448][img][/img] kzrider.com/media/kunena/attachments/leg...l_stem_clearance.JPG [/img] My thoughts too, except the side to side clearance (for the second mounting holes) is set out exactly the measure of the stems and the corresponding holes of the rack are the same size as well. It would make more sense if the rack had a third set of holes for the turn signal lights, but it doesn't. And to get this to work, I would need 2 inch chrome shim tubes to mount it where the turnsignals go. Here're a couple of pics......
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 14:25 by kawapsycho.

• SheffieldSteel
  • User
  • KZ750E 1981
More
27 Apr 2009 14:28 - 27 Apr 2009 14:33 #285753 by SheffieldSteel
Replied by SheffieldSteel on topic Amco luggage/backrest mounting help needed
Hi
My 1981 KZ750E2 came with the same sort of rack and the indicators (turn signal lights) were mounted on the rack not supporting it. There are holes on either side of the rack to re-fit the indicators. The rack was held on by two fixings on either side of the frame where the grab rail and indicators used to be.
Hope this is of some help. Sadly, it looks like the wrong rack for that bike.

My bike is a 1981 KZ750E with Honda VFR400 NC30 single sided swingarm and Aprilia RS125GP rear subframe and seat pods, engine in more pieces than my mind
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 14:33 by SheffieldSteel.

More
27 Apr 2009 14:28 #285754 by kawapsycho
Attachments:

• SheffieldSteel
  • User
  • KZ750E 1981
More
27 Apr 2009 14:32 #285755 by SheffieldSteel
Dont mean to be rude, but, the rack looks slightly home-made and not an original part.

My bike is a 1981 KZ750E with Honda VFR400 NC30 single sided swingarm and Aprilia RS125GP rear subframe and seat pods, engine in more pieces than my mind

More
27 Apr 2009 14:35 #285756 by kawapsycho
I'll get the hang of posting pictures.....eventually. Anyway you can see the front to back clearance and side to side. I have no problem relocating the turnsignals, but have never done it. Also, should the rack be braced to the license plate mount? I also have the removable backrest and I want this to be secure......
Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2009 14:37 #285757 by kawapsycho
It's not homemade, has the Amco label still on it and it supposedly came off an 80 kz750 twin like mine...

• SheffieldSteel
  • User
  • KZ750E 1981
More
27 Apr 2009 14:39 #285758 by SheffieldSteel
My rack was fixed where your shocks and indicators are mounted with no other brackets or fixings for further support. There was a fixing just above where your indicators are mounted to place the indicator itself, on the rack. The only other suggestion would be to buy a rear end tidy to support/replace the indicators.

More
27 Apr 2009 14:47 #285764 by kawapsycho
Thanks Sheffield, thats given me a couple of ideas since I have some rubberized wrap clamps that I couple relocate the lights with I think and then use the 2 inch metal shim to fix the rack where the turnsignals go. I'll see how it looks and post a pic for some concensus.

• SheffieldSteel
  • User
  • KZ750E 1981
More
27 Apr 2009 14:51 #285767 by SheffieldSteel
Good luck, glad to be of assistance