Chain Stretching

More
23 Apr 2009 12:59 #284417 by thegoodness
Chain Stretching was created by thegoodness
Lil' Help! When I take my 76 kz900 on long trips I seem to have to tension the chain more and more frequently as the miles add up. If I don't keep it taught it eats away at the rear sprocket. A couple years ago I replaced the chain (and the sprocket)because it outstretched the tensioning capacity. Any tips out there on how to get more miles out of my chain, or is it just a heavy chain that is going to stretch. I know pulling a link is an option, but it is a pain, especially on the road. I probably have about half the length of the tensioning bolt left and am looking at a 1000 mile round trip this summer. would hate to run out of room for the return trip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:14 #284419 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Chain Stretching
Pulling a link is not an option. If your chain is stretched that far than it is chewing the He** out of your rear sprocket. At this point the pitch is so far off, that you are approaching a danger zone. If you lubricate the chain like you should, every 200 Mi. or so it should give you about 25000Mi. The trick is to lube the chain as frequently as possible. I do it about every 100-150 Mi. Lubricating the chain is much more important than tightening it. Forget all these new clear lubes that are supposed to keep your back wheel clean and use something with Molly in it I swear by KG Chain Kote but I am sure that other makers use Molly in their lubes also. Also make sure that you do not have a stiff link in the chain. This is also a sure fire way to ruin a sprocket. If you have a stiff link, Just loosen the chain spray the stiff link with WD40 or equivalent and loosen it up by hand. Once you have loosened it up just soak it again in a good heavy chain lube. Stiff links are the #1 reason of rear sprocket ware. You may not even have a stretched chain.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
23 Apr 2009 13:21 #284423 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Chain Stretching
Plus buy a modern O-ring or X-ring chain, the tensile strength of these chains is far far more than the old types.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
23 Apr 2009 16:15 #284499 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Chain Stretching
Sounds like PJ1 chain oil is being used. Don't use it. Be sure and lube it like mentioned, but not with PJ1. Some guys have the idea oring chains do not need lube=WRONG. Look at any motorcycle parked anywhere and look at the chain. It is bone dry. Very rare to see a lubed chain, and they wonder why the chain is worn out with 5000 miles on it.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Apr 2009 16:18 #284501 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Chain Stretching
Oh yes, lube it no matter what you have. I have an RK X-ring chain on my 650, and I lube it with gear oil. I haven't had to tension it after about 2000km since it was installed. Course I dont have much power, but with my 810 mods this summer I'll see really how this chain performs.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
23 Apr 2009 17:59 - 23 Apr 2009 17:59 #284540 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Chain Stretching
thegoodness wrote:

Lil' Help! When I take my 76 kz900 on long trips I seem to have to tension the chain more and more frequently as the miles add up. If I don't keep it taught it eats away at the rear sprocket. A couple years ago I replaced the chain (and the sprocket)because it outstretched the tensioning capacity. Any tips out there on how to get more miles out of my chain, or is it just a heavy chain that is going to stretch. I know pulling a link is an option, but it is a pain, especially on the road. I probably have about half the length of the tensioning bolt left and am looking at a 1000 mile round trip this summer. would hate to run out of room for the return trip

The chain isn't really stretching in the conventional sense, it is "gaining length" because wear at the rollers and pins makes the links move farther apart. Needless to say, the cause of the problem is the wear occurring on those points. The cure is frequent maintenance/lube and a high quality chain.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 17:59 by bountyhunter.

More
23 Apr 2009 18:07 #284545 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Chain Stretching
ditto B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.