A Noob Brake question

More
23 Apr 2009 11:43 #284400 by OregonMatt
A Noob Brake question was created by OregonMatt
Hey all, New here and would appreciate any info you can give me. I have tried the brake squealing solutions here on the site. I have used the gasket maker silicon, the anti squeal disc brake spray, sanding both the pads and the rotor and they still shriek like a banshee with her finger caught in the door. I was wondering if any of have had luck with pads made of other materials such as kevlar and the organic pads and squeal.

the bike is a 76 kz 900

1976 kz 900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:55 #284441 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A Noob Brake question
After several failures attempting to halt horrendous disc brake squeal using various other products and procedures, both KZ900 and Z1 front brakes have stayed mouse-quiet since using Permatex Copper Hi-Temp behind pads in conjunction with caliper overhauls.

This was a couple of years ago, fitted with whatever aftermarket pads (and caliper restro kits) Z1E had available at the time, and I can't make them squeal, wet, damp or dry, regardless of application pressure.

Had no success whatever with the typical thin watery automotive style anti-squeal products.

Ymmv, but for me, this was the Miracle Cure (see pic below).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2009 14:08 #284443 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic A Noob Brake question
I use that Ultra Copper for everything, great stuff.

More
23 Apr 2009 14:22 #284459 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic A Noob Brake question
There is no cure, putting stop squeel will do nothing. All the stuff you've tried will do no good as you've found out. The only fix is to use a different brand pad and pray heavily. If they squeel, throw them in the trash and try another brand. Kind of expensive and rediculous. The dumbest thing is you can try 4 brands of brake pads and on the 4th try your prayers are answered, they don't squeel. A few years later the pads need replaced so you buy those exact same pads and people are running for cover at 100 yds from the squeel. I know I have a bad attitude on this, but I've been there, done that many times with these brakes. The only real fix is use Kawasaki pads, but they are NLA according to Kawasaki. It looks like we are not long for this world on KZs because they are discontinuing basically everything.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Apr 2009 15:20 #284490 by Patton

:laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2009 16:09 #284496 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic A Noob Brake question
I wonder if the actual solution is to understand what is making the noise.

I am not a harmonics engineer but is it the rotor being stroked by the pads and it resonating or the pads are being stroked by the rotor and are resonating.

So is it the pad material or is it a vibration set up by a rotor. I know by putting some kind of dampening material behind the pads it can reduce or eliminate the squeal. but maybe retorquing the rotors or having them refaced would also help.

also if the cylinder action is not real smooth and the piston does not return to a pressure neutral position. it will rub on the rotor. or not apply equal pressure on both sides of the rotor, that cant help the situation.

just tossing out musings of a sick and congested mind.

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
23 Apr 2009 16:30 #284505 by Patton
OregonMatt wrote:

Hey all, New here....

Hello, OregonMatt, and WELCOME to KZR! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

We could hear you coming! :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Apr 2009 16:43 #284509 by OregonMatt
Replied by OregonMatt on topic A Noob Brake question
Thanks for the advice. I am going to rebuild the caliper and get new pads. The copper stuff was the last thing I tried to no avail. The weather here has been great for riding and I don't really want to take the bike apart.

1976 kz 900

More
23 Apr 2009 17:08 - 23 Apr 2009 17:10 #284516 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic A Noob Brake question
The other night I replaced the front pads on the 650. The OEM original pads were worn out and squeeling. I had bought an old set of EMGO pads a few years ago, and I'm sure these pads were from the 80's. Anyway I used the UltraCopper Permatex on the metal clip on the back (just to hold it in place as I installed it) and I have no squeel.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 17:10 by OKC_Kent.

More
23 Apr 2009 17:22 - 23 Apr 2009 17:23 #284518 by Patton
OregonMatt wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I am going to rebuild the caliper and get new pads. The copper stuff was the last thing I tried to no avail. The weather here has been great for riding and I don't really want to take the bike apart.

Perhaps already done, but I used the Permatex Copper behind both pads, and on the mating surface behind each pad, and had also scuffed both pads with sandpaper to remove any glaze, and also lightly wet-sanded the disc to remove any traces of whatever.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 17:23 by Patton.

More
23 Apr 2009 17:31 #284522 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic A Noob Brake question
RonKZ650 wrote:

There is no cure, putting stop squeel will do nothing. All the stuff you've tried will do no good as you've found out. The only fix is to use a different brand pad and pray heavily. If they squeel, throw them in the trash and try another brand. Kind of expensive and rediculous. The dumbest thing is you can try 4 brands of brake pads and on the 4th try your prayers are answered, they don't squeel. A few years later the pads need replaced so you buy those exact same pads and people are running for cover at 100 yds from the squeel. I know I have a bad attitude on this, but I've been there, done that many times with these brakes. The only real fix is use Kawasaki pads, but they are NLA according to Kawasaki. It looks like we are not long for this world on KZs because they are discontinuing basically everything.

ditto

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 Apr 2009 17:38 #284527 by Patton
PLUMMEN wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

[The world is ending]

ditto

So that explains why always point to and laugh at the guy alongside so everybody will think the noise is coming from him. :laugh: :laugh:

Smeller's the feller! :laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD