replace master cylinder

More
21 Apr 2009 16:32 #283788 by clutch2k3
replace master cylinder was created by clutch2k3
Hey y'all,

I have a '79 KZ650SR - D2 w/dual front calipers

I switched out my bars and there's barely enough room to mount the stock master cylinder. Also, I'm going to change the stock lines to SS braided.

I have a couple of questions:

Is there a "short" master cylinder/reservoir for sale that will work with this setup? I know the mc bore is 5/8" but I'm not sure what specs are important when making a switch like this. I would guess the diameter of the bore and the length of the bore.

Could I switch to a master cylinder (with an integrated brake light switch) for single caliper system and then just remove a caliper and rotor? I like this idea cus then I could ditch that splitter and just have one cable from the mc to the right caliper.

I know most want KZ riders want to switch from a single caliper to a dual caliper but I'm thinking that a simpler system with newer components (especially the ss braided line) would lead to a better braking. Plus, most motorcycles only have 1 rotor up front anyways.

Looking forward to your responses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 19:44 #283905 by clutch2k3

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Apr 2009 07:55 #284027 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic replace master cylinder
Clutch, don't know about going from two discs to one, but to solve your master cylinder fitment problem, a lot of the newer bikes have remote reservoirs, and you could fab a small bracket to move it around wherever you need it.
Either that, or maybe an old MC from a single disc Z1 would fit better. Not sure though.