unknown bike noise

More
17 Apr 2009 08:54 - 17 Apr 2009 09:00 #282586 by KZ1979LTD
unknown bike noise was created by KZ1979LTD
Hey guys I need some help! At low speeds, there is a definite knock or bumping sound coming from my bike. The bike is a 79' KZ 1000 LTD with 20K miles on it. It either isn't happening at higher speeds, or I just can't feel it. The chain is adjusted according to specs, tires are fairly new too. I pulled the front sprocket cover to check for wear and make sure it was tight, no problem there. Rear sprocket teeth are fine and not worn. The rear tire is setting on the same adjustment marks on the frame. The chain looks like it is in line from the drive sprocket to the rear tire. I jacked it up and both the front and rear tires spin fairly easily with no noticeable wobble (although the front brakes do rub the calipers a little.) There seems to be a tight spot in the chain in one section that will not go away. Could this be the gremlin thats making the noise? It feels like you are driving down a concrete driveway and every time you run over an expansion joint you feel a knock or a bump in the bottom end. Sorry I can't describe it any better than that. Anything else I can look at? It's driving me nuts. Also can somebody tell my computer challenged butt how to reduce picture size so I can post on this site. thanks for the help. Tom
Last edit: 17 Apr 2009 09:00 by KZ1979LTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
17 Apr 2009 09:12 #282587 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic unknown bike noise
some of the guys use "photobucket" to set up an account free and it will help ...you post your pics to your photobucket account and then it is easier to upload em to kzr posts...you can do search for posting pics in the kzr forum search slot and learn...i use my phone to take pics and then send em to my e-mail and then save em to my documents....long way prob but works for me....

as far as the sound you describe is it also a small rotating jolt that bumps the bike or just a sound when moving...????
you describe checking the things that first come to mind for me also????...tire defect?//tire bumping inside the fender???is the tight spot in the chain just a tighter spot in the slack adj...or is it a kinked link....if a link then that is the prob ..i bet...you can unbind em by flexing it back and forth against the pins"imagine breaking a pencil in your hands" and lubing in the tight spots better..it may re-kink though..pull in your clutch at 15-10 mph and see if it changes/appears....also find a hill that has little traffic..long hill...and put the bike in nuetral and kill the engine and coast down you'll hear the noisy spot better...good luck....craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
17 Apr 2009 09:14 #282589 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic unknown bike noise
also you can update your info "signiture" on your account with the make /year/model/and general location and guys will know more to help give tips/relate...ect...peace craig

p.s ...welcome bro

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
17 Apr 2009 09:27 - 17 Apr 2009 09:28 #282590 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic unknown bike noise
could be caused by your clutch basket damper springs in the backing plate or something as simple as the carb's being out of sync.by the way welcome to the site

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 17 Apr 2009 09:28 by timebomb33.

More
17 Apr 2009 10:08 - 17 Apr 2009 10:10 #282598 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic unknown bike noise
KZ1979LTD wrote:

Hey guys I need some help! At low speeds, there is a definite knock or bumping sound coming from my bike. The bike is a 79' KZ 1000 LTD with 20K miles on it. It either isn't happening at higher speeds, or I just can't feel it. The chain is adjusted according to specs, tires are fairly new too. I pulled the front sprocket cover to check for wear and make sure it was tight, no problem there. Rear sprocket teeth are fine and not worn. The rear tire is setting on the same adjustment marks on the frame. The chain looks like it is in line from the drive sprocket to the rear tire. I jacked it up and both the front and rear tires spin fairly easily with no noticeable wobble (although the front brakes do rub the calipers a little.) There seems to be a tight spot in the chain in one section that will not go away. Could this be the gremlin thats making the noise? It feels like you are driving down a concrete driveway and every time you run over an expansion joint you feel a knock or a bump in the bottom end. Sorry I can't describe it any better than that. Anything else I can look at? It's driving me nuts. Also can somebody tell my computer challenged butt how to reduce picture size so I can post on this site. thanks for the help. Tom

While riding along, could try shutting off ignition and coasting to see whether the problem changes or disappears. May aid diagnosis.

Meanwhile, my nickle's on kinked chain. Wondering if with 20K miles, it might be the original chain. :ohmy:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 17 Apr 2009 10:10 by Patton.

More
17 Apr 2009 11:31 #282604 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic unknown bike noise
The only good way to eliminate a tight spot in the chain is to replace it along with both sprockets as new parts rapidly get worn by old ones.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Apr 2009 12:05 #282605 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic unknown bike noise
my money is on the chain, had a similar noise with the same problem, as stated replace botht sprokets and chain, and if you go with a o ring chain,, buy the install tool, saves fingers

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
17 Apr 2009 14:02 #282620 by gane
Replied by gane on topic unknown bike noise
Kz, Agree w/others, try this, if you have centerstand use it, put in gear and let out clutch. & bring to comforatable spin. if tight spot is culprit, chain reaction will be obvious. if not bad wheel bearings will make simliar noises. hope these help G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
17 Apr 2009 14:38 #282627 by KZ1979LTD
Replied by KZ1979LTD on topic unknown bike noise
I wondered about a bad wheel bearing being the culprit. The bike is a stock LTD so there's no centerstand, but that's a good idea. I may try to jack it up or suspend it with a come-along from the I- beam in my basement. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

More
17 Apr 2009 15:32 #282642 by gane
Replied by gane on topic unknown bike noise
Kz, a quick asside, chains with a KnowN tight spot need be adjusted to proper slack at that point. general slack for street bikes is @ 1- 1.5 inches, if difference at tight spot causes in excess of 2 inches in the rest of run, a new chain and or sprockets is wise. check wear at sprockets, and tension before and after if just replacing chain. it's rare, but I've seen ovaled/irregularly worn sprockets as well. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
23 Apr 2009 06:23 #284346 by KZ1979LTD
Replied by KZ1979LTD on topic unknown bike noise
thanks for the help guys. Bought a new chain last night and installed it. problem solved. the tight spot in the chain must have been what was causing the clunk in the bottom end. will be riding in to work today. supposed to be 75 degrees in Nashville today!