How does gas flow from the right side of the tank?

• l0g1c
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
12 Apr 2009 15:37 - 12 Apr 2009 15:40 #281071 by l0g1c
Last night I ran out of gas :blush:. Apparently, when I mounted my fairing, I must've knocked my warning light out of commission. I was already on reserve, because I kinda had a feewing I was low. So yea, comedy of errors.

Anyways, it got me thinking about how the tank works. I'm assuming there is a tube from right to left that goes over the hump so that it pulls from the right as it empties? If that is the system, is it possible that it could gulp up some air when I'm cornering with low gas and render it ineffective until I fill up again?

Anyone ever tipped the bike over onto the left side to try and slop enough gas over to get you to the next station? I was only a couple of blocks from my place, so it wasn't a big deal, but in a hypothetical situation, maybe this maneuver could work a treat?

Just thought I'd ask. You can bet I'll be tracking down that disconnect tomorrow. :angry:

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE
Last edit: 12 Apr 2009 15:40 by l0g1c.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2009 19:12 #281187 by 88alltrac
yea just set your bike as far as you can to the left to get a little more. my boss taught me that trick. when he was young he said if he ran out he would just set his kz1000 on the highway bars and then pick it up and go.

81 KZ1000 K1
Lincoln NE

More
12 Apr 2009 20:11 #281238 by PLUMMEN
hump/tunnel is smaller in rear of tank.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.