Brown Tires

More
07 Apr 2009 18:06 #279279 by HerrDeacon
Brown Tires was created by HerrDeacon
Wondering if there is anything to help tires look black again? My tires, even though they are fairly new, always look dirty brown. Its now even worse since I just painted my rim, shows it up more now. I've washed them but still look like crap. My tires are a cheaper brand so I'm not sure if this is a factor.

I know you can't use car type gels and stuff, but is there any safe way to bring back the black?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2009 22:00 #279362 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Brown Tires
After scrubbing the tires with a good cleaner, dry,and apply some paste wax(I use Johnson's in the yellow can),work it into the tires and buff off the excess. It should keep them looking black foa a while.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 Apr 2009 05:23 - 08 Apr 2009 05:27 #279452 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Brown Tires
Try this product it has been around for a million years.
Westley's Bleche-Wite
www.westleys.com/
Available just about everywhere...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs
Last edit: 08 Apr 2009 05:27 by Russ Jackson.

More
08 Apr 2009 05:42 #279455 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Brown Tires
I've always used Armoral or Formula 2000, add to rag and wipe on being careful NOT to go past "shoulder" onto tread. Let set and then buff off excess.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Apr 2009 06:07 #279458 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Brown Tires
Thanks guys for the tips, I'll try them out.

Russ, I've never seen that Westley's product around here before. I'll have to check around a bit more.

More
08 Apr 2009 06:41 #279465 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Brown Tires
Don't drive around in the mud Deacon :D

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
08 Apr 2009 07:11 #279478 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Brown Tires
T_Dub wrote:

Don't drive around in the mud Deacon :D

Hard not to around here. If you saw the mud and dirt I cleaned out of the front of the engine this winter it'd scare you. I should be a few pounds lighter now :laugh:

More
08 Apr 2009 10:13 #279524 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Brown Tires
Follow Bluemeanie's advice...DO NOT get anything you use on the tread area of the tire. You will be in for a very interesting ride at the least and quite probably dangerous and bad for you health , if you do. Be very careful. This stuff is slick and the tread is no area for this stuff. I have, as well as a few others here I'm sure, have found out the hard way how this works. DO NOT get on tread of tire! Hell...don't even use it on your seat...same thing, different situation. I have just about came off seat on easy take-off it was so slick so you can imagine what it would be like to have this stuff between your tire and the road.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
08 Apr 2009 10:49 #279532 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Brown Tires
racer54 wrote:

Follow Bluemeanie's advice...DO NOT get anything you use on the tread area of the tire. You will be in for a very interesting ride at the least and quite probably dangerous and bad for you health , if you do. Be very careful. This stuff is slick and the tread is no area for this stuff. I have, as well as a few others here I'm sure, have found out the hard way how this works. DO NOT get on tread of tire! Hell...don't even use it on your seat...same thing, different situation. I have just about came off seat on easy take-off it was so slick so you can imagine what it would be like to have this stuff between your tire and the road.

When I was kid working at a bicyccle shop, if the customer was an A**hole, my buddy or I would Armor-all the seat for him. We'd always make a point to tell him as if we were doing him a favor. The seat looked so nice, they'd always thank us. :P