Dual disc conversion - 650B

• HenryKrinkle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Apr 2009 11:02 #278876 by HenryKrinkle
Dual disc conversion - 650B was created by HenryKrinkle
Mine has one disc - on the left; how hard would it be to just bolt on another disc on the right + caliper and hose? I know some other 650's had dual discs - mine has a mount on the right fork leg, and a cover on the right side that may be over the disc holes (I'll have to check).

Also, can the older ('77) style round master cylinder support 2 brakes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2009 11:08 #278877 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Dual disc conversion - 650B
Under that dust cover is the mounting points for another disc. To make it headache free try to source a system from a C model of about the same vintage. The rotors would be the same thickness and the calipers will bolt right up. And to answer the MC question, no. You wouldn't have enough bore on the MC to effectively work both calipers. If you want a dual disc set up keep your eyes open for a complete system from a C model, including the splitter from the MC down to the calipers. Swap everything in and bleed the system and you're good to go.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
06 Apr 2009 12:53 #278891 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Dual disc conversion - 650B
Or use an MC off a newer bike that has dual front discs. Unless you want to keep the stock look, in which case start watching ebay.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
06 Apr 2009 12:57 #278892 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Dual disc conversion - 650B
Yeah and get a rebuild kit. The MC that came with my set is so crap. It stops ok, but I know it could do much better, so I'm gonna get a new cheap-o 14mm MC off ebay at some point, since I can't get mine apart to rebuild it in any case..

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
06 Apr 2009 13:14 #278901 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Dual disc conversion - 650B
KawiConvert wrote:

Or use an MC off a newer bike that has dual front discs. Unless you want to keep the stock look, in which case start watching ebay.

The newer MC would work, but you'll still need to get the splitter for the brake line. While you're replacing all these components it'd be a great time to upgrade to braided steel lines too. ;)

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
06 Apr 2009 13:21 #278903 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Dual disc conversion - 650B
anarki650 wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

The newer MC would work, but you'll still need to get the splitter for the brake line. While you're replacing all these components it'd be a great time to upgrade to braided steel lines too. ;)

If you're upgrading your brake lines anyway... get two lines the same length and attach them both to the master cylinder with a double banjo bolt. This way no spliter needed. This was a trendy "upgrade" on some late model crotch rockets. I think some yammy's came like it. To be honest I don't know if its better, but if you don't have a splitter...

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
06 Apr 2009 15:22 #278935 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dual disc conversion - 650B
The '77 KZ650B and KZ650C used different thickness rotors, different master cylinders (both were round), different fork legs, and the KZ650C had cast wheels (with calipers behind the fork legs) so I don't know how difficult it would be to adapt dual disks to the wire wheels. You could put the whole front end from a KZ650C on a "B" model, but then the rear wheel wouldn't match. Changing the rear to disk brake would be another challenge as the swing arm is different and you'd need to mount the rear master cylinder on the frame. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)