bouncy centerstand????mods to fix???

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
26 Mar 2009 20:17 - 26 Mar 2009 20:19 #275694 by trianglelaguna
bouncy centerstand????mods to fix??? was created by trianglelaguna
i have the centerstand on the kz900 and since the stock mufflers used to have the bumper(i believe thats how it worked) to keep the stand from being pulled up into the chain...and i have no stock pipes to make contact...what are some remedies/mod to keep the stand in a fixed position whenn hualin balls...it will bounce now on bumps and then mellow out....i got a new spring today and am gonna install it in place of the old slack one and fashion a stopper somewhere too i guess ...if that fails...i will pull the stand and only attach loose to do routine services....

anyone know any ,kz with a header , tricks to keep the stand steady?????? thanks....craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 26 Mar 2009 20:19 by trianglelaguna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2009 20:41 #275704 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic bouncy centerstand????mods to fix???
If you find the spring difficult to remove and put on here's the way I put a new one on my KZ650. I used a bar clamp - the kind used in woodworking. I bored a little dimple near the tip of the stationary jaw so I could engage very end of the "U" at the bottom end of the spring (with the centerstand in the up position). Then I clamped the movable jaw against the bottom pad of the centerstand (the part that rests on the ground when the stand is in use). Then I just turned the handle on the clamp to pull the bottom of the spring toward the centerstand pad until I could pop the spring free from the pin the "U" hooks to. I put the new spring on using the same method. Maybe I'm just dumb, (well, let's face it - there's no "maybe" about it) but this was the only way I could do it without pulling the bike across the garage floor when trying to pull the spring directly. Let me know if you need a better explanation and I'll try to clarify. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Mar 2009 20:52 #275706 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic bouncy centerstand????mods to fix???
i think iget it but then i'm dumbb tooo...i will give it a try...i understand...thank you650ed wrote:

If you find the spring difficult to remove and put on here's the way I put a new one on my KZ650. I used a bar clamp - the kind used in woodworking. I bored a little dimple near the tip of the stationary jaw so I could engage very end of the "U" at the bottom end of the spring (with the centerstand in the up position). Then I clamped the movable jaw against the bottom pad of the centerstand (the part that rests on the ground when the stand is in use). Then I just turned the handle on the clamp to pull the bottom of the spring toward the centerstand pad until I could pop the spring free from the pin the "U" hooks to. I put the new spring on using the same method. Maybe I'm just dumb, (well, let's face it - there's no "maybe" about it) but this was the only way I could do it without pulling the bike across the garage floor when trying to pull the spring directly. Let me know if you need a better explanation and I'll try to clarify. Ed

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
26 Mar 2009 21:12 #275714 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic bouncy centerstand????mods to fix???
I had the same problem years ago when I removed the stock 4 into 2 system on my 82 GPZ1100 B2. I measured,drilled and tapped for a 1/4-28 fastener to act as a stop movement bolt on my centerstand.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Mar 2009 21:33 #275716 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic bouncy centerstand????mods to fix???
okay that is along the lines of what i was thinking except your idea is cleaner...i was thinking an old under tank rubber or the like at the right spot and a self-tapper screw....also the new spring....and a good toilet brush and degreaser under there too...

may have saturday off... two new avons roadriders waiting next to the bench.. sweet ....centerstand fix in order....new side cover grometts and timebombs drill a wire stay string trick...new oury grips also from rob at z-1 ent..!!!........now....if the cometic gskt would get here tomorrow...i can get that z-1 off the bench... and start a dual disk spoked 19 set up too...i hate working on these things...but am getting there..thanks guys....those answers will get me done.. great tip mfolks....peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 Mar 2009 06:10 - 27 Mar 2009 06:11 #275750 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bouncy centerstand????mods to fix???
Sometimes works with spring on bench to press pennies between coils resulting in extended length spring.

Then install spring attached at both ends (with pennies remaining in place), and when deployed, the pennies usually just fall out.

Done. No sweat. No pulling. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Mar 2009 06:11 by Patton.

More
27 Mar 2009 06:34 #275756 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic bouncy centerstand????mods to fix???
One of the best tricks in motorcycling. Patton has the answer. Only takes a few pennies and reduces frustration 100%.
You can usually get rubber bumpers at any hardware stores. Find the spot and screw it in.

I use the plug in type of centerstand. When I need it I hang it.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"