Front Break Sticking 78 Kz 400 b1

• CodyHartleben
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2009 14:12 #273455 by CodyHartleben
Front Break Sticking 78 Kz 400 b1 was created by CodyHartleben
Ok, so this is the first bike I have owned and the front break rubs and wont realease and the break lever is extremely hard to pull. Its pretty bad so bad that you can't push the bike easy and when your riding it, they really get hot and you can hear the friction , even if I never use them. I have NEVER worked on any motorcycle. Is this problem common and easy to fix? Is it possible, or even safe for me to try to work on this? Or should I just take it somewhere? I would love to get to know the ins and outs of this bike and even become somewhat of a decent mechanic so I can fix my own stuff. Is it a bad idea to start with working on the brakes? looking for any tips or recomended parts i would need. im located in central WI thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2009 14:42 #273461 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Front Break Sticking 78 Kz 400 b1
The hardest part of rebuilding the caliper will be bleeding the brakes when you're done. Get yourself a rebuild kit for the caliper (check www.z1enterprises.com ) and it's really easy to do. If you don't have one already get yourself a shop manual, it'll step by step you through the process of tearing it down and putting it back together. Once you have it apart make sure that everything gets really well cleaned and there isn't any pitting on the caliper piston. Replace the seals (one O Ring inside, a dust boot, and new rubbers for the caliper pins), and put the caliper back together. Then mount it back up and bleed the brakes. Piece O Cake.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.