charging an old battery

More
16 Mar 2009 16:40 #272478 by kznewb
charging an old battery was created by kznewb
Hi all, thanks ahead of time for any information provided.

I recently bought an old 1980 kz550, there are a couple things wrong with it, but i think i got a pretty good deal. I need to charge the old battery, although i have ridden it over 40 miles, i stopped riding it for about 2 weeks and the battery went dead. does that mean i need a new battery?

also if i were to charge the battery by running the engine, do i have to run it at high speeds? or just high rpm? or even at a high rpm?

thanks again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2009 17:20 #272494 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic charging an old battery
Battery could be old and weak anyways so unless you know it's history or how old this battery is, may be time for a new one but first.....

You could have a partial short where it was draining the battery slightly over the 2 week time duration... Anopther example, 3rd party clock or some goofy setup that constantly is draining the battery under load conditions... Just examples all, not saying this is the case...

Then there the charging system, get out your service manual (if you don't have one buy one ;) ), get out your volt meter, again buy one if needed, Home Depot, Lowes, ACE hardware.... Hell even radio shack sells them for next to nothing... Or if you have Harbor Freight, get their automotive DVM with tach and dwell included in it....

Then read/research & follow the manual for the charging system... Best advice any of us can give you at this point....

Then there's it could just be a loose or corroded ground connection where it's draining the battery but not charging while running....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
16 Mar 2009 17:28 #272499 by kano
Replied by kano on topic charging an old battery
another tip.

but a battery tender its basically a trickle charger i keep the old girl plugged in all the time,
this help because of the short trips and low rpm battery never recovers from start.

second buy some battery top up fluid keep it out of reach of little ppl and check your levels every few mths.

More
16 Mar 2009 17:42 #272511 by JR
Replied by JR on topic charging an old battery
Bike batteries dont last very long. My last one lived for 4 years which by all accounts was excellent. As it neared the end of it's life it would lose charge until eventually after riding and charging then the next day it would hardly have enough power to tunr the engine over.

When charging by riding I dont think it matters anything over about 4,000rpm.

If you think there might be a drain on the battery then I think this is the way - let an electrical expert confirm this first. Disconnect the positive cable from the battery. Connect a multimeter between the cable and the battery terminal and see if you get a reading . Otr if you dont have a meter get a 12 volt bulb and rig some wires to the bulb with crocodile clips on each end - something to protect you from a shock - and connect one to the cable and on to the battery and see if the bulb lights. This should indicate a drain.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
16 Mar 2009 17:44 #272512 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic charging an old battery
Use plain distilled water(the kind used in stem irons) as a replacement fluid. Most if not all batteries need water not more acid to replenish the charging medium.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 Mar 2009 20:00 #272583 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic charging an old battery
If you don't know how old the battery is, it probably needs a new one. Can you contact the previous owner to ask when he bought it? They don't last as long as car batteries. Check Sears when you shop around, you might find one on sale. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
16 Mar 2009 20:53 #272601 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic charging an old battery
mine was 50 and is now off the list of problems(churn...churn...churn...nothing)and on to new ones....

it was 70 at one shop and 50 at another 5 miles away....go figure,,,,

makes difference....the po said it was a newer battery ...it lasted me four months...got the 50 dollar one and am into a year and a half 0 troubles.....

best 50 i ever spent.......cours there was that one time in fallon nevada....oh well....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife