Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e

More
12 Mar 2009 06:03 #271319 by meNmyKZ
Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e was created by meNmyKZ
Ok, so this is the first bike I have owned in about ten years. I just bought it the other day and the back brakes won't open off the rotor. Its not so bad that you can't push the bike, but when your riding it, they really get hot, even if I never use them. I have NEVER worked on any motorcycle other than a Honda Spree and that was about 15 years ago. Is this problem common and easy to fix? Is it possible, or even safe for me to try to work on this? Or should I just take it somewhere? I would love to get to know the ins and outs of this bike and even become somewhat of a decent mechanic so I can fix and modify my own stuff. Is it a bad idea to start with working on the brakes? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2009 06:18 - 12 Mar 2009 06:20 #271325 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
Sounds like the piston is not returning. While applying brakes, the seal around the piston is twisted slightly which when releasing lever the twist helps pull back piston slightly. Any gunk, crap, etc, that gets in between piston and cylinder binds piston. Pressure pushes piston out but won't return. A disassembley, cleanout, and a rebuild kit should solve your problem. B) We can walk you through the process, not that hard. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 06:20 by Bluemeanie.

More
12 Mar 2009 06:39 #271333 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
Awesome, thanks. Any ideas on a good place to get a rebuild kit? Also, which is the better repair manual, Clymers or Haynes? I bought a service manual on ebay that was described as "what the shops use". Would this be good enough? cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-KZ750-F...ManualsQ5fLiterature

More
12 Mar 2009 16:21 #271413 by meNmyKZ
Bump, I understand that these are the most novice questions possible, but I would really like to get started on this bike and need just a bit of advice from people who know about the subject. So can anyone please give me some advice on my repair manual question. Thanks and sorry for boring, lame, and such beginner questions. I searched the forum and couldn't find the answers myself....thx

More
12 Mar 2009 16:43 #271416 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
Nice to have the factory pubs and on CD is nice cause you can print out what you need. Between the two others I like the Clymer's better than the Haynes as a rule. At mechanics prices these manuals pay for themselves with the first job. Get parts here www.z1enterprises.com or a lot of other places but check here first cause you will usually get best price and support. We're here too. GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
12 Mar 2009 16:46 #271418 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
Factory service manual will give you the most information, diagrams, exploded views, step by step, etc. However, if you're really novice at wrenching you might find that the shop manual is written over your head a little. When I first got into wrenching on bikes I bought both a Clymers and a factory service manual. The Clymers set me in the right direction and when I found that I still had unanswered questions after reading through that a few times I'd reference the FSM. Between the two of them I never found something I couldn't tackle.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
12 Mar 2009 16:48 #271419 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
Try www.z1enterprises.com for a rebuild kit for your brake caliper and look at the master cylinder too. It might need a rebuild.

www.repairmanual.com is one place to get a factory shop manual if isn't on E-bay. Another is at www.onlinefreebooks.net .

Working on the brakes tales patience as there are some parts similar to car brake systems and others not so much. Basic metric hand tools should be all you might need. A good hand bleeding system made by Mighty Vac is what I use doing my brakes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Mar 2009 17:17 - 12 Mar 2009 17:17 #271427 by meNmyKZ
Excellent. Thanks everyone. I will be getting on the web tonight and will order a shop manual too. I also appreciate the links on where to get parts. I can't wait to get this thing on the road, its my first bike in years. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 17:17 by meNmyKZ.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
12 Mar 2009 21:04 #271510 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
I'm having a similar problem with the 82 kz750 I just acquired. My issue is with the front brakes though. Tonight, I removed the calipers and hung them festively from the turn signals with wire coat hangars (to prevent brake line damage). I attempted to pry the pads farther apart to open the gap with minimal success. I had to literally beat one of them off the rotor with a rubber mallet (I know it probably wasn't a good idea). They still don't appear to be as they should, though I have no experience with hydraulic brakes. Also the mc fluid level looks low....

Anyway, I guess I'm just asking what I should check next. Please keep in mind that I haven't had the chance to pick up a service manual yet, so be as detailed as possible.

Thanks guys,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
12 Mar 2009 22:24 - 12 Mar 2009 22:24 #271521 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
My front rotors were binding, also, after changing pads. Too much dirt. I changed oil and dust seals on front calipers. I have factory and Haynes manuals.

Mechanically, everything is simple and easy. Of course, dealing with a corrosive fluid is cumbersome and messy. Popping the rotors from calipers could be tricky. Best doing it with compressed air.

Most tedious and frustrating is getting rid of air in the system, once everything is together.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 22:24 by hugo.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
12 Mar 2009 22:26 #271522 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Brakes are sticking on my KZ750e
hugo wrote:

My front rotors were binding, also, after changing pads. Too much dirt. I changed oil and dust seals on front calipers. I have factory and Haynes manuals.

Mechanically, everything is simple and easy. Of course, dealing with a corrosive fluid is cumbersome and messy. Popping the rotors from calipers could be tricky. Best doing it with compressed air.

Most tedious and frustrating is getting rid of air in the system, once everything is together.

So....you're suggesting taking it all apart, cleaning and flushing the system with some fresh fluid?

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
13 Mar 2009 00:19 #271535 by meNmyKZ
Clutch, I just picked up mine the other day too. Looks same as yours but black. Did you check out the link on my other post. Someone is selling a service manual on CD for $8.99. I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet, so i can't say if its any good. Seemed pretty cheap though.