upper shock mount studs

More
06 Mar 2009 17:07 #270100 by keith1
upper shock mount studs was created by keith1
i just put on a set of progressive gas shocks and springs tonite. i got the upper acorn nuts on,
but the studs are about toast....if i ever have to take them off again, i think i m gonna have problems....the studs just thread into frame, correct?....thanks...keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NICEONE
  • User
  • "speak softly and carry a BIG STICK"
More
06 Mar 2009 17:11 #270102 by NICEONE
Replied by NICEONE on topic upper shock mount studs
i believe they are threaded and and spot welded in place at least thats how it looks on mine.

NicEone
Indelible Species

79 kz650c BRATBOB
06 SCION XB -goblin green-
94 nissan skyline

More
06 Mar 2009 17:43 #270113 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic upper shock mount studs
Over at www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby there is a thread about a guy that stripped the threads on the shock mount and is having to drill out the stud, and what type of replacement bolt should he use.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Mar 2009 18:23 #270121 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic upper shock mount studs
do you have a link to specific thread?...i did a cursory look at the first 6 pages....maybe i missed it......thanks......without reading , i m guessing this aint gonna be a "double nut back out the stud" deal.....sweeettt......

More
06 Mar 2009 19:12 #270128 by gane
Replied by gane on topic upper shock mount studs
Keith, reccommend caution. If i recall correctly, Shock mount is a staged piece, Look to inside of frame, If I'm correct, you'll see a penetration weld nearly an inch in diameter.indicating shock boss is even more substancial within frame than at shock mount, and then reduced again at retainer. consider options. Most zeds used 10mm nuts to retain shocks. carefull work may allow you to size & die to 8mm retaining the strength of original mount. logic indicates it does't take much to keep the shock on, but sizable forces are generated vertically. the concept of snapped shock mounts after bottoming at speed.... G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Mar 2009 05:13 #270171 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic upper shock mount studs
yeah what he said.....i see where guys move the shocks forward on older z's to update to a semi progrssive slant forward look.....but man i hope they are 100% sure on their mount/welds.......once in a great while a bike can really take a jolt...at that moment anything breaking could be really bad news......least that's whay i've been thinking about /moving my top mountsgane wrote:

Keith, reccommend caution. If i recall correctly, Shock mount is a staged piece, Look to inside of frame, If I'm correct, you'll see a penetration weld nearly an inch in diameter.indicating shock boss is even more substancial within frame than at shock mount, and then reduced again at retainer. consider options. Most zeds used 10mm nuts to retain shocks. carefull work may allow you to size & die to 8mm retaining the strength of original mount. logic indicates it does't take much to keep the shock on, but sizable forces are generated vertically. the concept of snapped shock mounts after bottoming at speed.... G

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
10 Mar 2009 06:00 #270882 by zoro
Replied by zoro on topic upper shock mount studs
keith1 wrote:

do you have a link to specific thread?...i did a cursory look at the first 6 pages....maybe i missed it......thanks......without reading , i m guessing this aint gonna be a "double nut back out the stud" deal.....sweeettt......

Hi Keith,...Heres your huckleberry,If your still needing some instruction on this issue Im available. The fix is quite a bit more involved than the double nut and stud as your going to drill and tap first and then make a stud using a grade 8 bolt.

GHOSTRIDER,1980,KZ1000ST

More
10 Mar 2009 13:01 #270942 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic upper shock mount studs
zoro wrote:

keith1 wrote:

Hi Keith,...Heres your huckleberry,If your still needing some instruction on this issue Im available. The fix is quite a bit more involved than the double nut and stud as your going to drill and tap first and then make a stud using a grade 8 bolt.

thanks....i got the acorns to thread on and they are not going anywhere....if i ever have to take em off again, i will be looking you up....thanks again