Swingarm bearing have seals?

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
04 Mar 2009 06:22 - 04 Mar 2009 06:24 #269584 by riverroad
Swingarm bearing have seals? was created by riverroad
A friend of mine has a 1980 KZ1000P, and he recently took it in to a shop to have some work done to it.
One job was to replace the swingarm bearings.
After the work was done and paid for, he took the bike home, crawled under it and looked at it. Being the salty old aircraft mechanic he is, he immediately noticed the lack of the usual mechanics evidence normally left behind (grease smears, grime wiped off etc.)
He took it back to the shop and asked to see the used bearings. They said they "didn't have them anymore", "they were destroyed when he had to cut them out"...
Well, understandably, them answers just ain't good enough.
Today he's taking the bike back to the shop. They've agreed to remove the swingarm and show him (they offered, he's callin the bluff).
But before he has them go through such drastic measures, he thinks that if they squirt some grease through the zerk and clean grease comes out both sides, he'll be satisfied.
Question is, will forcing grease out of the seals displace, or ruin them?
Last edit: 04 Mar 2009 06:24 by riverroad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2009 04:32 #269785 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Swingarm bearing have seals?
All of the kawi's I have seen don't really have seals on the swingarm bearings. They have what looks like dust caps that fit over the end of the end of the pivot tube. It might be hard to tell if they replaced the bearings.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
05 Mar 2009 04:38 #269787 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Swingarm bearing have seals?
Don's right. The dust caps are a neoprene type of material with a hole in the center just large enough for the swingarm bolt to pass through and then it fits over the end of the swingarm tube (that is the case on the 650). The old bearings are a bear to remove. The ones I did were utterly destroyed. In fact, I gave the swingarm to another kid (nephew of the bike's owner) who works at the local John Deere dealership to remove the outer shells. He swore he'd never do that again. :D

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 Mar 2009 04:44 #269976 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Swingarm bearing have seals?
Well everything turned out all well and good. The shop understood his concerns. He had them squirt some grease through the zerk, and new grease did come out both sides of his swingarm.
Thanks guys.