Stupid tire removal question

More
02 Mar 2009 03:24 #269166 by Ozzyzed
Stupid tire removal question was created by Ozzyzed
About to do my first rear tire removal. Question is that it says in the manual to loosen the brake line from the grommets on the swing arm. What the!! I feel stupid asking this but have just sat and stared at this for about an hour and need someone to rescue me. Does this mean I have to bleed the rear brakes again? Given I have taken the bolt from the torque link does this mean the rear calipers come with the wheel?? :silly: Cheers Oz

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2009 05:04 #269182 by Ozzyzed
Replied by Ozzyzed on topic Stupid tire removal question
Right....so I gave it ago and slid the axle out which gave me room to remove the caliper then removed back guard and tail and presto out came the wheel. Obviously I have to slid the spocket off and remove the rubber thingy before taking it the tire shop?! Anything to be aware of here?:P

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
02 Mar 2009 05:43 #269189 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Stupid tire removal question
Right, you won't need the sprocket hub and damper at the tire shop.
But I always take it along, then when I pick my wheel up, I stop by the spray wash and clean it all up good.
Just don't directly blast the bearings with water.
And anytime I have the back wheel off, I put a large cookie sheet under the bike, and rotate the chain through a coffee can half full of kerosene. Wipe clean, air dry, saturate with chain wax.

More
02 Mar 2009 13:24 #269276 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Stupid tire removal question
I'm going to go kiss my old KZ. I can take the rear wheel off it without removing anything to do with the brakes. Just take the axle out, unhook the chain and it comes right out. It's a piece of cake.:P

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Mar 2009 17:48 #269332 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Stupid tire removal question
make sure you don't lose the spacer that goes between the sprocket carrier and the hub also a good time to look at the cush drive rubbers and also the bearings and seals also give your brake pads a good looking over

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
02 Mar 2009 22:11 - 02 Mar 2009 22:44 #269370 by Ozzyzed
Thanks boy's! A bit tired of paying others to do the 'dirty' work for me. So hence giving it a go and learning as I go. :) Thanks to the members I feel quite confident in caring for my machine and having access to those that have been there and done that!!
Cheers again. B)

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
Last edit: 02 Mar 2009 22:44 by Ozzyzed.

More
04 Mar 2009 16:43 #269695 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Stupid tire removal question
I took the rear wheel off last Saturday and brought it to the local shop where they put new tire on. While the shop had the wheel I cleaned up the the sprocket and hub and found that the bearing in there was shot. I had suspected as much. So ..........I replaced the bearing with one I had from a spare .
Now I'm thinking I should clean the chain while I have the wheel off. Whats the best way ? I'm thinking spray down with WD40, wipe off and put on fresh chain lube ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
05 Mar 2009 10:06 #269828 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Stupid tire removal question
Congratulations, Ozzyzed B)
To get back to your original question, no, you do not need to open the hydraulic system. The manual is refering to small rubber rings that go around the hose that connects the rear master cylinder to the caliper. There will be a bracket or two on the swingarm that holds the hose out of harm's way and the grommets keep the hose snug in the brackets and prevent chaffing. Pulling the hose and grommets loose from the brackets will give you more slack in the hose so that you can move the caliper assembly farther out of the way.

To the chain cleaning question (sorry I forget who posted it), WD40 will work, but the posting by riverroad above describes a quicker and less messy option.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
05 Mar 2009 18:40 #269906 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Stupid tire removal question
ooops

Never noticed the kerosene in the coffee can method. Sounds good.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
08 Mar 2009 00:29 #270334 by Ozzyzed
Cheers for all the replies fellas!;)

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1