'82 1000 LTD

More
23 Feb 2009 17:25 #267576 by Mikesz28lt1
'82 1000 LTD was created by Mikesz28lt1
I need to lower my bike about two inches. I'm 5'9" and am not even close to getting my feet on the ground. The suspension looks to be stock. I havn't been able to find any lowering kits for this bike. Does anyone have any tips on getting this thing down on the ground?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2009 19:15 #267618 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic '82 1000 LTD
My brother bought a lowering kit from JC whitney a few years ago. Theu were just links to move the bottom shock mount back 2 inchs or so but seemed to work fine.

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

More
23 Feb 2009 19:36 #267628 by gane
Replied by gane on topic '82 1000 LTD
Mike, in the day, there were at least 2 lower shock re-locaters avail. both moved rear bottom shock mount back @ 2 inches. one simply bolted thru stock mount and laid attop swingarm. the other (that I know) mounted at lower mount and at adjuster stop insert bolt. I believe I have both somewhere. either opt made shocks stiff due to angle change. If intrested, PM me & i'll look around. no charge for bits, but would need shipping.G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
23 Feb 2009 23:08 #267662 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic '82 1000 LTD
To lower the front, you can loosen the triple tree clamps and let the front fork tubes slide upwards about an inch. I did this on an older Yamaha I had, and I believe you can drop a KZ an inch in the front using this method.

This is straight from the KZ1000 page on Wikipedia: "Dropping the front forks through the triple clamps by 25mm (1 inch) generally speeds up the cornering."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kz1000

I installed a GS1100 swingarm on my bike and used a set of stock GS1100 shocks (new ones of course), and I think it dropped the bike about an inch in the rear. I'm sure you could install shorter shocks on the rear, but there may be a better option I dont know about.

By the way, have you adjusted your rear shocks to their lowest setting yet?

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

More
24 Feb 2009 00:11 - 24 Feb 2009 00:14 #267674 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '82 1000 LTD
Lowering the front end down on the fork tubes (leaves tubes sticking up through the top clamps) quickens the steering by altering the front end geometry and also enhances any tendency to speed wobble. Lowering both rear suspension and front suspension an equal amount should maintain the original geometry. Lowering only the rear suspension would be expected to slow the steering for more stability at speed with less maneuverability in the corners (think "chopper").

As gane noted, the rear "lowering blocks" do indeed result in a stiffer suspension, which I would classify as "bone-jarring" and almost as bad as struts.

Would consider it far preferable to just fit shorter shocks, being mindful of tire clearance issues at full compression, because under-fender wires may be quickly torn out.

Other "lowering" options include reshaping the seat foam to reduce seat height (and seat width), and simply wearing cowboy boots with high heels. These two options won't reduce cornering clearance or ground clearance. And don't alter the steering geometry.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Feb 2009 00:14 by Patton.