New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?

More
03 Feb 2009 22:50 #262076 by kcam1999
New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ? was created by kcam1999
I am new to all of this. I have a 79 kz650 and love it. I love it so much that I went riding in the 39 degree weather. I now am getting a cold from this mornings ride, but it was worth it.

My question is I am replacing my chain and sprockets. I have seen on ebay that there are O-ring and non O-ring chains. First off are they worth the extra money?

Second, is there a brand that is better then another, or is there one to stay away from. I heard that with a new chain must come new sprockets is that true? Also since I am replacing them is there a sprocket combo that would give me better gas mileage at the same time. Thanks for entertaining a NOOB! Also the other posts have been most helpful.
Kcam1999

kz 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2009 00:53 #262082 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
Do not buy used chains / sprockets as they aren´t usually worth the work. Buy new front and rear sprockets and chain att the same time. If your bike is stock it´s easy, just contact your local dealer and get a new set. 530X-ring -chain for example.

Better gas mileage can be achieved by gettin a few teeth smaller rear or 1 tooth bigger front sprocket. This will lower your cruising RPM.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
04 Feb 2009 06:11 - 04 Feb 2009 06:13 #262105 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
I got all my parts through Z1 Enterprises . Been a couple years but I believe my 530 "O" ring (only way to go) was almost $100 and sprockets were less than $20 each. Stock gearing on a KZ650 is 16/42 but you can go 17/42 (front sprocket is really close to chain gaurd but works) for about 500rpm drop at freeway speed. Some guys have gone 16 and maybe 38 or so. If not informed, Z1 Enterprises is THE place to go for almost everything your bike needs, and there really nice people on the phone too! :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 06:13 by Bluemeanie.

More
04 Feb 2009 10:15 #262156 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
O-ring is definitely worth the extra $. If you can't find a NOS endless chain or don't want to drop the swingarm to install, D.I.D. makes a good one that uses a master link.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Feb 2009 14:14 #262191 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
The Orings seal in the lube that the factory has put into the links. A non Oring chain must be oiled every 300 miles(recomended) with a thinner lube to penatrate into the links and rollers. With the o ring chain u just lube the out side plates with a wax like lube. This helps keep the lube from spitting all over your rear end.The Oring chain is said to last 3 times longer, due to the rollers being more permanantly lubed.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
04 Feb 2009 14:17 - 04 Feb 2009 14:19 #262192 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
kcam1999 wrote:

I am new to all of this. I have a 79 kz650 and love it. I love it so much that I went riding in the 39 degree weather. I now am getting a cold from this mornings ride, but it was worth it.

My question is I am replacing my chain and sprockets. I have seen on ebay that there are O-ring and non O-ring chains. First off are they worth the extra money?

Second, is there a brand that is better then another, or is there one to stay away from. I heard that with a new chain must come new sprockets is that true? Also since I am replacing them is there a sprocket combo that would give me better gas mileage at the same time. Thanks for entertaining a NOOB! Also the other posts have been most helpful.
Kcam1999

I recently re did mine, here is what I learned:

YES, an O ring (or better yet, X ring) chain is worth the extra money. And Z1 Enterprises has the best prices on a good X ring chain anywhere... believe me, I checked.

Z1 also has the best prices on sprockets, they sell the stock ones and some other sizes as well.

I wouldn't waste your money changing gears to get gas mileage, the effect is tiny. But this is fact: many places offer the stock rear gears (in steel) at very cheap prices like $24. But: if you want a different rear gear size to go to a higher ratio (to drop RPM) you have to get a custom sprocket and those are $80 and up.

You definitely need new sprockets to go with a new chain.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 14:19 by bountyhunter.

More
04 Feb 2009 15:09 #262206 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
Yes definately get an oring or xring. You still need to lube an oring or xring chain, maybe not as often as a standard chain, but it's mandatory to lube. Yes, lube is sealed in the links on an oring chain. That is not your problem though. The problem is the outer surface of the rollers is bone dry on a non-lubed chain. This bone dry is rubbing on bone dry teeth on the sprockets. Dry rubbing dry with no lube causes wear and a lot of it. Once the teeth are worn on the sprockets from this, your chain will be shot in short order. Anyone who doubts compare chain life. I get 50-60,000 miles out of a set of sprockets and a chain. Yes I do have to clean my rear wheel I'm afraid and quite often. If you ride in rain even for a few miles all lube will be washed off, or ride in dusty conditions likewise, so there is really no mileage rule between lubes. I'd say 200 miles max under ideal condions. Also, sorry to ramble on, but take a fast ride on the highway with a lubed chain and note what temperature the chain is, then repeat on a non lubed chain and compare. You'll be shocked how hot a non lubed chain gets. Not good for chain life.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
04 Feb 2009 18:03 #262249 by kcam1999
Replied by kcam1999 on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOh wow
Thank you thank you for everyones response! So now let me ask if somebody would look at this chain and tell me what they think of it on ebay
On the Z1 website, thats really cool. It seems that it have most of what I need at a good price. I only found that they have the X-Ring chains how difficult is it to install those? Whats the difference between a split link and a rivit link? I read that I need a different tool is that correct?

Thanks so much for verybodies help. I surely appreciate it!

Kcam1999

kz 650

More
04 Feb 2009 20:11 #262266 by gane
Replied by gane on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
K, Chains have come a long way since the '70's. Tensile strength's have increased as HP's gone up. the biggest difference between a o-ring/x ring chain is ribs/compound of sealing rings. which keep lube inside pivot pins and rollers.which is important, tho equally so are the grade of steel used in componants. all chains require maintanance. O-ring types more for sprocket life than internals. a worn chain will wear sprockets and vice versa. thus the reason for replacing as sets.steel is harder than aluminum, thus wears less, annd transmits less wear to chain. cyclic. drive ratios are figured to give the best bang for the buck. and unless you have special needs, render mileage moot. for the layman the easiest way to identify a quality chain is by name/reputation. current are Renthal,Tsubaki,DID,Regina,RK and others. the weakest link of a chain is it's master. Thus most top line chains come with master's which are "staked", making them pretty much 'endless'. Bikes like our's making modest HP's with proper care and reasonable use should see 40-50 K miles from quality bits. rant over G.

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
04 Feb 2009 22:38 #262275 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
Agree with o-ring chain for road X-ring for off road. what ever you get DO NOT get a cheap import off of Fleabay. They are made with inferior metal and do not have the tensile strength to hold up. stick with the high quality name brand from a reputable supplier. Z1 is good and good price on the chain and sprockets. I got a cheap import "o-ring" chain and almost had it for lunch. within 400 miles dozens of links had cracks forming at the pins. I was lucky and caught it in time. if one lets go it could cause some serious motor damage as well as hurt you. not worth the risk to save 50 bucks.

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
04 Feb 2009 22:39 - 04 Feb 2009 22:42 #262276 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationkcam1999 wrote:

Oh wow
Thank you thank you for everyones response! So now let me ask if somebody would look at this chain and tell me what they think of it on ebay
On the Z1 website, thats really cool. It seems that it have most of what I need at a good price. I only found that they have the X-Ring chains how difficult is it to install those? Whats the difference between a split link and a rivit link? I read that I need a different tool is that correct?

Thanks so much for verybodies help. I surely appreciate it!

Kcam1999

You can get an easy install with a split (master) link.

As for the ebay chain....?

How old is it? The O rings are rubber, so old chains are crap. Without knowing the brand and model, no way to know if the chain is any good. I just bought a really good RK "X" ring chain off Z1 and it was about $80. No way risking a crap chain is worth saving $20.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 22:42 by bountyhunter.

More
05 Feb 2009 05:00 #262286 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic New Chain O-ring or Non ist that the ?
I bought the o ring chain and sprokets from z1, if for any reason you have a problem they are there to help, and when you really compare the prices they are still about the same.

also, buy a install tool, cost is about 20 bucks, but beats the hell out of a smashed finger,, and dont ask how I know

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob