ebay listing

More
05 Jan 2009 21:03 #256365 by PLUMMEN
ebay listing was created by PLUMMEN
i keep seeing this ebay listing for surfacing z1-kz rotors on the bottem of the page with this big sales pitch about how complicated of a process it is and he charges $45,im guessing plus shipping!:unsure: ive taken my rotors to the machine shop and had them surface them on the machine they use for flywheels for years and the most i think i ever pay is around $15 if im in a hurry otherwise they can have em the next day for $10 most of the time.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2009 19:47 #256490 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic ebay listing
I've been seeing the same thing and at first I thought you were buying a finished rotor and thought that was a great deal! Then as I read it I realized it was as you just stated and thought it was a stupid deal. I know I could go somewhere in town as you said and get it done 75% cheaper! The shop that turns our flywheels would probably do it for free for me.... Hmmmmm...... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
06 Jan 2009 21:15 #256510 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic ebay listing
i had a guy try and tell me years ago that you had to cut off the rivets and seperate the rotor from the carrier to machine them then bolt em back together!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
07 Jan 2009 10:20 #256565 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic ebay listing
I'd be careful getting your rotors done on a flywheel surfacing machine unless the operator knows exactly what he is working on.
Brake rotors are SUPPOSED to be machined by removing the same amount of material from BOTH faces at the SAME time to maintain centralization of the caliper/rotor relationship.
Yes, I know a couple of thou won't make that much difference in real life but unless you keep track of your measurements you could end up shifted over one way or the other wayyyy too far.
This is the main reason that most/all FSM's recommend against having rotors refaced.
As to the guy on Ebay, that's not an unreasonable price IF he's doing them on a proper brake machine. Work-hardened stainless brake rotors are an absolute beach to do properly and they are VERY hard on the cutters of a brake machine. I've done this myself on my dad's Ammco brake lathe and I've had to throw away a set of cutters after doing just ONE rotor. Believe me, those cutters are NOT cheap to replace. IF/IF the Ebay guy knows what he's doing then his price is NOT out of line, IMO.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.