KZ550 Project Questions

More
18 Dec 2008 11:55 #253397 by insignia100
KZ550 Project Questions was created by insignia100
Since I've already started a few question threads about my KZ550 project I've decided to just start a single thread about it so I don't clog up the forum with my questions.

So, I got some superbike bars for my KZ550 and I've pretty much gotten it all installed except for a few issues.

After replacing the bars, my throttle sticks quite badly. I lubed the cables and it works fine with the throttle off the bars but still sticks when its on the bars. It's almost like the bar is a bit too large and won't let the throttle move freely. Any ideas?

1983 Kawasaki KZ550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2008 12:17 #253400 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ550 Project Questions
Can you measure the outer diameter of the handle bar and the inner diameter of the throttle sleeve with a dial caliper? This will tell you what the problem is.

The bar may have a weld or paint build up just enough to cause it to bind up.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Dec 2008 12:50 #253401 by insignia100
Replied by insignia100 on topic KZ550 Project Questions
The problem isn't paint, because the handlebars don't have paint where the throttle grip is (though maybe there is a bit of overlap with the throttle grip, I'll have to check).

I did take a small crescent wrench (the poor man's calipers, haha) and compared the diameter of the new bars to the diameter of the old ones. The old ones are ever so slightly smaller in diameter than the new ones, so that might be the culprit.

1983 Kawasaki KZ550

More
18 Dec 2008 13:06 #253403 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550 Project Questions
If you put new rubber grips on the throttle, sometimes the flange on the thumb end rubs on the throttle housing. Pull the rubber grip away from the housing by a mm and see if that makes a difference.

More
18 Dec 2008 13:10 #253404 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic KZ550 Project Questions
Did you replace the cables with the bar switch? If your cables are too long you will have a nasty time with friction from long sweeping bends or tight short ones. Release your bars from the hold downs. Then try the throttle while changing the angle of your bar/cables. If they are better at a different angle it's you cables, routing or length. Usually the bar thickness is not the problem. Also some switch housings have a little boss that locates into holes in stock bars and have to be ground off for bars with no locating holes. Pics might help.....

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
18 Dec 2008 15:00 #253416 by insignia100
Locozuna wrote:

Did you replace the cables with the bar switch? If your cables are too long you will have a nasty time with friction from long sweeping bends or tight short ones. Release your bars from the hold downs.

I bet that's it! The controls are about 5" or so closer to the center of the bike. I'll have to get under there and see about pulling the throttle cables out to avoid the tight turns.

I actually drilled a new hole in the bars, though I might grind off the little nubbin anyway.

1983 Kawasaki KZ550

More
19 Dec 2008 21:05 #253619 by insignia100
Rerouted the throttle cables and everything's great now.

1983 Kawasaki KZ550

• onlytonynguyen
  • Visitor
14 Dec 2011 16:45 #493141 by onlytonynguyen
Replied by onlytonynguyen on topic KZ550 Project Questions
I'm suffering the same issues that you had. How did you go about re-routing your cables?