What 6 bolt floating rotors will fit Z1 hub?

• TravisGlamuzina
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Dec 2008 16:12 #252255 by TravisGlamuzina
What 6 bolt floating rotors will fit Z1 hub? was created by TravisGlamuzina
Im looking at FZR rotors, sixbolt and they look like they might fit. Anyone tried this or had success with some other 6 bolt combo besides custom made.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2008 20:17 - 12 Dec 2008 20:17 #252288 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What 6 bolt floating rotors will fit Z1 hub?
i posted a picture of some gs1150 rotors a while back,i believe theyre 6 bolt origionally.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2008 20:17 by PLUMMEN.

• TravisGlamuzina
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Dec 2008 06:17 #252331 by TravisGlamuzina
Replied by TravisGlamuzina on topic What 6 bolt floating rotors will fit Z1 hub?
I saw that but the hub looks smaller than a Z1 6 bolt. I have two sets of GS rotors and the hub is to small to fit My Z1 6bolt.

More
13 Dec 2008 10:29 #252367 by PLUMMEN
i looked up the origional gs1150 rotors on ebay when i posed that picture origionally and they are 6 bolt,the rotor on that bike looks like its been redrilled to work on a 76-78 kz 900-1000 front hub.B)

• TravisGlamuzina
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Dec 2008 16:30 #252431 by TravisGlamuzina
Replied by TravisGlamuzina on topic What 6 bolt floating rotors will fit Z1 hub?
What I have learned today after doing some research and comparison is 6 bolt FZR rotors will fit GS 6 bolt rims like ENKI, no doubt in my mind, they match up.6 bolt post 2001 CBR 900 RR Rotors will fit Z1 hubs with some drilling to widen the holes on the rotor.I'm about 98% sure the CBR rotors will work with little to no modification. I have used Scale pictures and compared sizes from a GS spacer and a Z1 hub pencil rubbing. The scale used for comparison was a standard tape measure. I will try the 900 rotors when I free some cash and report back on this. :woohoo:
Attachments:

• TravisGlamuzina
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Dec 2008 16:31 - 13 Dec 2008 16:35 #252432 by TravisGlamuzina
and here is a FZR rotor for your enjoyment. as you can see the FZR rotor is much smaller on the hub end, as are 76-80 900-100 hubs. Z1 hubs are larger than this.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Dec 2008 16:35 by TravisGlamuzina.

More
13 Dec 2008 16:56 #252437 by PLUMMEN
how about the offset of rotors from hub?ive got a source to make me some front hubs same as kz out of a chunk of T6 with spoke holes and bearing/axle opening same as stock but with holes machined in right place for newer rotors.ive been trying to figure out which rotors have close to same offset for caliper/spoke clearance.does that make sense?;)

• TravisGlamuzina
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Dec 2008 18:04 #252661 by TravisGlamuzina
I'm using Ninja 600 two pot calipers. No clearance issues there, in fact they offer 1/2" more tolerance over the stock Z1 caliper. I am making adapter plates for them anyway so any issues can and will be worked out there as well. To answer your question. any non opposing piston caliper should work fine, i.e. piston on one side of the caliper.

More
14 Dec 2008 19:04 #252681 by PLUMMEN
solomrus was experimenting with twin piston calipers on a suzuki dirtbike with pistons on each side thats where i first learned about the clearance isues with wire wheels.on my rear wheel for my turbo i was going to run a stock rear hub and rotor with a sportbike caliper mounted on bottem but had same issue with spoke clearance so we made a spacer to shim rotor over,which i wasnt really happy with.so now ive got a new plan to run a spool hub on rear i just need to box up a package to send to ny,then ill have my machinist zip me out a few copys of the spool with a little extra width on rotor side to make thing work the way i want!:blink: is it any wonder it takes me so long to finish anything?ive got to learn to quit being such a picky bastard!:laugh:

More
16 Dec 2008 18:57 #253122 by GregZ

More
16 Dec 2008 19:32 #253131 by PLUMMEN
well thats the easy and expensive way!:laugh: