KZ-1000 Windshiel Replacement Options

• Facility Guru
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I love restoring bikes!
More
05 Dec 2008 11:41 #250838 by Facility Guru
KZ-1000 Windshiel Replacement Options was created by Facility Guru
FYI: I had looked around at replacing my yellowed windscreen and the prices were out of my range.

I decided to DIY !

I went to the local plastics supplier and ordered a 1/4" thick 30"x30" piece of Lexan.

I removed the old windscreen and placed it (clamped it carefully to the new piece - centered to fit)leaving the scratch cover plastic sheeting still on it.

First I drilled the holes out through the existing holes to match carefully. NOTE: a higher-speed metal bit worked great as the 'flutes' of the bit are not steep and wont tend to grab. I drilled at a fairly high speed, but not so high that the lexan would melt back to itself, it went well for all none holes.

I marked the outline of the old windscreen on the new one with a permanant marker (or you can scratch it in).
I used a thin plywood paneling blade on my circular saw and cut as close to the lines as possible, after clamping the lexan down under some cardboard, except for the area I was cutting in. It went well, but seemed time consuming unclamping and reclapming to ensure it would not catch or damage the lexan.

After cutting as close as I could to the lines, I used a belt sander (longwise down the edge to meet the edge lines)and then some emory cloth wrapped around a piece of wood to soften the edges. then plastic polish to give it that clean look. I enlarged the holes slightly on the fairing and the windscreen so there would be no binding.

Bolting it on takes some patience. You start with the center of the nine bolts using metal bolts and working outward from one side to the next to avoid over stressing the lexan. I did this with a very warm shop light on the widscreen to make it as flexible as possible and over two hours.(I came back to it between playing with the kids).

I left the metal bolts in place for about a week so the Lexan could 'take the shape' of the curved fairing.
After that I replaced them one at a time in the same order with plastic bolts, washers and nuts.

YOU WANT YOUR WINDSCREEN TO GIVE WAY IN AN ACCIDENT AND NOT CUT YOU IN HALF (or decapitate you)! That is why you use plastic bolts and nuts! For safety's sake dont leave the metal bolts on the windscreen.

That is my MacGuyverizing of the yellow winshield on my 1992 KZ-100 P-11 Kawasaki. I hope this helps somebody and if you have the where-with-all, saves you some money!

Rob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.