530 chain advantages

More
14 Dec 2008 19:13 #252685 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 530 chain advantages
easy there big fellar! quick get me the pressroom,headline:Timebomb goes off on kzr chain post. :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2008 00:07 - 15 Dec 2008 00:32 #252726 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic 530 chain advantages
my 630 chain strechtched and stretched and strethed and blua. After two years it finally quit. And i never did burn the tire. Just alot of wrist action. And that did not impress me that stretch thing. I did alot of research on chains and can say that id never buy a d.i.d. chain and the ek stretches some and the rk is choice i'd make. anyone running a 630 is NOT invited to my house. Don't mind the chain its just not my house. And it was a new factory o ring chain and sprockets. YEah the sprockets wore out too. JUNK. and i lied again too. 630 chain is a power robbing over weight piece of scrap metal. The only true rolling chain with little drag is a non o-ring chain. Thats what im going with anyway. when u can hold 6feet of chain out in front of you and it doesnt bend somethings wrong. And. NO you cannot correct it with slanderslanging. (the creation of loud obnoxious conversation over dead rat guts lying in a dark gutter, discovered by someone with a shirt on backwards.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2008 00:32 by nads.com.

More
15 Dec 2008 04:56 #252740 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 530 chain advantages
cool!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
15 Dec 2008 06:19 - 15 Dec 2008 06:23 #252763 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 530 chain advantages
timebomb33 wrote:

i have broken a ek drzz 530 drag chain and also have broken a did x-ring chain as soon as i went back to the ek630 ms chain i have had no problems since

EK site doesn't show a DRZZ but it does show a DRZ2, is that the one?

530DRZ2: The Pro Stock Racer’s Choice
Designed in conjunction with Pierre Elliott of Diamond Powersports, the EK 530DRZ is chosen by more top NHRA Pro Stock Bike competitors than any other chain. The reason is simple: When a championship is on the line, you can’t afford a failure. In 2004, Sam Wheeler used the 530DRZ in recording the fastest-ever terminal speed for a two-wheel vehicle: 338.269mph!
Recommended application: drag racing up to 300hp
Tensile strength: 11,500 lbs.

Not to start an argument here (seriously), but did you do an investigation to determine the cause of failure? I'm no fan of EK chains, but if you're saying the quote above is wrong and they're lying to us, then you really need to provide more info.

How much use had the chain had, and what was the exact cause of failure.

I'd like to have a street motor with enough power to break this one :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 15 Dec 2008 06:23 by steell.

More
15 Dec 2008 15:13 #252872 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 530 chain advantages
:unsure: Vaguely recall reading that if battery fluid gets on a chain, the chain may be critically weakened, supposedly due to "crystalization" of the metal or something like that. Maybe just a mirage :S , but perhaps something to condsider. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Dec 2008 17:59 #252909 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic 530 chain advantages
sorry it was drz2 and i have broken one and it hurt a bunch of parts i've been parinoid about running them ever since i'm really nervous about running one on my big block since i have so much tied up in that motor but i have little or no choice as im running so close to the frame as it is i'm going to have to modify the frame any way.which by the way sucks supremely but that is the reason i used tremclad to paint the frame anyway.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
16 Dec 2008 17:17 #253094 by darmahsd
Replied by darmahsd on topic 530 chain advantages
As an old fart whose been here from the beginning of the "superbike" era, here's my take on the chain size issue:
First, do any new hyperbikes, like a 'Busa or ZX14 come with 630's?
The 630 was developed for one of the very first superbikes, our own beloved Z1, which at 80 plus horsepower, had almost double what a good Triumph Bonneville or Harley Sportster had at the rear wheel at the time.
Fast foward to today, and the new hyperbikes I mentioned have double what the Z1 had. I might be wrong on this, but I think they come with 530 chains.
It's all about materials development. The steel they use to make modern chains is way superior to what they had 35 years ago. Yes, that same steel goes into a replacement 630 for the older superbikes, so of coarse it's still stronger than a 530 like everyone's saying, but just not needed for even the above average rider as original equipment on modern bikes.
Bottom line, a lighter, smaller 530 or even 520 equals less power to drive the rear wheels, less unsprung weight and plenty of tensile strength for even the most tweeked of the old aircooled motors that we talk about on this forum.
So I'm sold on converting to a more efficient 530 on my '84 1100 GPZ.
Sorry for being longwinded on this, I sometimes enjoy hitting the keyboard after a few beers :)

Stephen